Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit Changes and Pet Bonds

Hi Everyone,

I'd be grateful of a little advice. I'm about to let a property from the second of June , the new tenants have a cat so my usual process would be to increase the bond by £100 and to declare this as a pet bond to be used should the pet cause any damage. The tenants are fine with this but it did occur to me that this additional sum will mean the bond/deposit is then equivalent to more than 5 weeks rent. Is this legal or would this potentially put me in violation of the new rules re bond / deposit size ?

Thanks

Grim

Nah, AFAIK you cannot increase deposit amount for pets.

I suggest you charge £25 per month extra rent.

Comment

As stated above, you cannot now charge extra for a pet or more than 5 weeks deposit. £25 per month extra on the rent is a lot to pay for 1 cat and if you have already agreed a rent with your tenant you probably can't put it up now. The tenant fees ban does not stop you from charging for damage done by the pet so I would just ensure you have stated in your tenancy that any damage will be charged for & ensure your inventory is extremely accurate - cats can scratch at carpets at closed doors for example. The chances of 1 cat doing a lot of damage is fairly low so you should be ok.

Good luck

Comment

However, someone will come along when you try and claim for pet damage, and say that the damage you have sustained is fw&t for a tenancy you knew would have a cat.

Ask for the extra up front IIWY.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Nah, AFAIK you cannot increase deposit amount for pets.
          If you and the tenant sign the agreement before June, then you can still take the extra deposit (S30(1)(b) Tenant Fees Act).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X