Assured Tenancy Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assured Tenancy Rights

I have a question I hope you can answer. My mother has been living in a cottage for some 22 years since August 1997 and took the cottage as part of her job to clean the main house. During that time she has had 3 different owners and been working for them. For a couple of months she paid rent as well. Her current employers have now said that they no longer require her services and wish to pay her a sum of 3500 Pounds as severance pay and want her to start paying 600 Pounds a month. The council has apparently said it will cover 400 pounds of that. My question is that I am sure this is an assured tenancy, and that she should not throw away her rights. She is getting older, over 70 years old. They have also told her that they want to increase the rent next year to 800 pounds and she would not be able to afford that. Can anyone give advice on this. Thanks in advance

When you say she "took the cottage as part of her job to clean the main house", was the accommodation part of the remuneration for the job?

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In any case if she occupied the residence after 27 February 1997 then it would be deemed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

is there a written agreement ?

Comment

Originally posted by fullhouse50 View Post
        In any case if she occupied the residence after 27 February 1997 then it would be deemed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.
        Not if no rent was paid.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If no rent was paid then by definition the tenancy falls outside of the Housing Act. The original post does not make this clear.

Comment

It depends if she was a service occupier or service tenant. If she had to live there in order to do her job then she was a service occupier and has less rights to stay. If a service tenant then she probably has an AST. It could be that rent was deducted from her wages to pay for the accommodation.

Double check the date she moved into the accommodation isn't prior to 28 February 1997, if so she may have an Assured Tenancy. It would be for the landlord to prove she moved in after that date...

If she was a service occupier then her employment finishing and beginning to pay rent would seem to be a new AST.

Comment

KeepTheFaith,

For it to be a Assured Tenancy

you moved in between 15 January 1989 and 27 February 1997 and your landlord did not give you a notice (section 20) saying that you have an assured shorthold tenancy

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ured_tenancies

If a section 20 notice was Not issued at the start of the tenancy, LL cant evict using a s21.

About 3/4 down this page http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...schedules/made

FORM No. 7
              Housing Act 1988 section 20 Notice of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy

If one of theses notices was served on tenant when the tenancy 1st started and LL would have to prove this in court, then they can use a s21.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/section/20

1988 Housing act
              Section 20
              (2)
              (b) is served before the assured tenancy is entered into
              Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Serving a Section 21 on inherited tenants
                VanDriver
                Hi all

I am interested in buying a freehold property at auction, arranged as two purpose built maisonettes. Both properties are tenanted, the tenants have been in occupation since 2005. Looking at the legal pack online the current landlord has done everything correctly. There is a signed...
                18-10-2019, 07:39 AM
              • Reply to Serving a Section 21 on inherited tenants
                theartfullodger
                [QUOTE=VanDriver;n1083398]
                I understand the AST starts 2005. But there may have been an earlier tenancy, and if early enough they the 2005 AST won't actually be an AST. ASK THE TENANT - vendor, estate agent, solicitor won't know/won't tell truth.

Key dates are 15 January 1989 -...
                18-10-2019, 14:46 PM
              • Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
                PotatoHead
                I've had several different tenants rent my house in the past few years, each tends to stay about a year (fairly transient area).

Each one has asked to change broadband/tv/phone provider, one did it without asking. The result is Sky/Virgin/BT drilling new holes each year into my walls to...
                15-10-2019, 21:11 PM
              • Reply to Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
                John Duff
                There have always been clauses to that effect in my TAs. However, having spelt that out to tenants at signing, many will ignore. Expect to be awarded peanuts from deposit.

Recently had another dish installed adjacent to the existing at a property I own. Tenant has (without permission) dish...
                18-10-2019, 14:44 PM
              • Repossession query
                Wellybike
                Hi, new LL to this forum. I rented a property to 2 tenants on an Assured Shorthold tenancy on 24 March 2018. I didn't supply an EPC or checklist. It was rented in London and there was no initial fixed term. Rent due 24th of each month and a deposit paid. OK, now one tenant wants to have the whole flat....
                18-10-2019, 14:17 PM
              • Reply to Repossession query
                jpkeates
                If they're joint tenants, you can only end the tenancy for both of them (notice and court will be required if one of them is reluctant to go).
                You can supply the EPC and How to Rent guide before serving notice (but make sure the How to Rent guide is the right version).

The tenant...
                18-10-2019, 14:42 PM
              • Reply to Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
                Raiden328i
                Funny enough we only got fibre a year ago on our road. I was told for years we wouldn't get it because it would cause too much chaos but as there are a lot of new builds in the area the street eventually got it along with other stuff but its been a nightmare shutting down the roads every 5 mins. I...
                18-10-2019, 14:35 PM
              • tenant with 3 kids
                abc777uu
                Hi,
                My current tenant has 2 kids and living in my 2 bed flat.
                the kids are a 5 years old girl and a 6 months old baby boy.
                recently, I came to know that the tenant’s wife is pregnant.
                by law, can they stay in 2 bed flat with 3 kids?

Please advise.
                Thanks...
                16-10-2019, 14:10 PM
              • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
                John Duff
                Sorry haven't read the full thread re. overcrowding but here's my story:

Couple rented my 2 bed with 2 children working part LHA. They really wanted a council house from day 1. Council advised to find accommodation in PRS and they were placed low down on waiting list.

Year...
                18-10-2019, 14:33 PM
              • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
                theartfullodger
                I am safe as a landlord until the 3rd kid is MORE than 1 year.
                - or -
                I am safe as a landlord WHILST the 3rd kid is less than 1 year....
                18-10-2019, 14:29 PM
              Working...
              X