Assured Tenancy Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assured Tenancy Rights

I have a question I hope you can answer. My mother has been living in a cottage for some 22 years since August 1997 and took the cottage as part of her job to clean the main house. During that time she has had 3 different owners and been working for them. For a couple of months she paid rent as well. Her current employers have now said that they no longer require her services and wish to pay her a sum of 3500 Pounds as severance pay and want her to start paying 600 Pounds a month. The council has apparently said it will cover 400 pounds of that. My question is that I am sure this is an assured tenancy, and that she should not throw away her rights. She is getting older, over 70 years old. They have also told her that they want to increase the rent next year to 800 pounds and she would not be able to afford that. Can anyone give advice on this. Thanks in advance

When you say she "took the cottage as part of her job to clean the main house", was the accommodation part of the remuneration for the job?

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In any case if she occupied the residence after 27 February 1997 then it would be deemed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

is there a written agreement ?

Comment

Originally posted by fullhouse50 View Post
        In any case if she occupied the residence after 27 February 1997 then it would be deemed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.
        Not if no rent was paid.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If no rent was paid then by definition the tenancy falls outside of the Housing Act. The original post does not make this clear.

Comment

It depends if she was a service occupier or service tenant. If she had to live there in order to do her job then she was a service occupier and has less rights to stay. If a service tenant then she probably has an AST. It could be that rent was deducted from her wages to pay for the accommodation.

Double check the date she moved into the accommodation isn't prior to 28 February 1997, if so she may have an Assured Tenancy. It would be for the landlord to prove she moved in after that date...

If she was a service occupier then her employment finishing and beginning to pay rent would seem to be a new AST.

Comment

KeepTheFaith,

For it to be a Assured Tenancy

you moved in between 15 January 1989 and 27 February 1997 and your landlord did not give you a notice (section 20) saying that you have an assured shorthold tenancy

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ured_tenancies

If a section 20 notice was Not issued at the start of the tenancy, LL cant evict using a s21.

About 3/4 down this page http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...schedules/made

FORM No. 7
              Housing Act 1988 section 20 Notice of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy

If one of theses notices was served on tenant when the tenancy 1st started and LL would have to prove this in court, then they can use a s21.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/section/20

1988 Housing act
              Section 20
              (2)
              (b) is served before the assured tenancy is entered into
              Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Leaving a rented house?
                by Enyala
                If you always paid your rent six month in advance would the LL have to give six months notice to leave at end of a fixed period?
                16-02-2020, 19:32 PM
              • Leaving a rented house?
                by ETJ
                I do intend on making contact of course but I want to hear it from someone else in case they try to pull a fast one.

We live in a rented house, we've been there many years.
                The rent is paid weekly via a standing order setup by myself.

The contract we signed (about 10...
                15-02-2020, 17:04 PM
              • Reply to Requested permission to get a cat
                by Belucky22
                Sadly that post shows your negative attitude towards certain groups. I worked for decades with many people in social housing. My experiential evidence is that the majority are decent people who have had some unexpected misfortune or come from challenging backgrounds.
                You make valuable contributions...
                16-02-2020, 19:19 PM
              • Requested permission to get a cat
                by JessJ235
                Hi all,

Moved into this rental property last July.
                Tenancy states no pets without landlords written permission.

A couple of months after I contacted Landlord about getting a kitten, he responded saying he would get back to me and never did.

I'm a good tenant,...
                15-02-2020, 15:19 PM
                by AndrewDod
                The evidence for that statement would be much appreciated.

Bearing in mind we are not talking about social status we are talking about "social housing tenants". Do have have research that shows that social housing tenants do not trash properties at a higher rate that non social...
                16-02-2020, 18:59 PM
                by jpkeates
                I keep dogs and cats (and they are the cause of my frequent use of rugs and replacement of carpets).

However, nothing compares to the damage capacity of a kitten.
                They are full of energy, have sharp teeth and claws, endless curiosity and little continence.
                16-02-2020, 18:58 PM
              • Reply to Pre Action letter for MCOL
                by jpkeates
                You will need to be able to show that the guarantor is the one who, at this point, owes you the debt.
                The tenant has incurred the debt, and the guarantor has (depending on what their guarantor deed says) agreed to pay these debts if they don't.

Depending on the wording of the guarantee...
                16-02-2020, 18:55 PM
              • Pre Action letter for MCOL
                by MisterB
                I haven't used the MCOL process before and having read through it, I am required to undertake 'pre action', which seems a fair process to follow. I have drafted the following (details removed of course) - does anyone consider it unsuitable ?? I have tried to include all the relevant points without making...
                14-05-2017, 07:13 AM
                by Lawcruncher
                There is no correlation between a person's social status and their propensity to trash property....
                16-02-2020, 18:42 PM
              • Reply to Section 21 Proceedings Delay
                by theartfullodger
                Fine, so ask estate agent for evidence of service of all relevant documents...

Could we possibly please have a response to the calm, polite, question from a wise member......
                Looking forward to your illuminating reply....
                16-02-2020, 18:37 PM
              Working...
              X