Tenant with disabilities?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant with disabilities?

    Looking for some advise hopefully. We have rented properties out before, however I now have a elderly couple that have applied to rent my property.
    One of the couple has a disability ie wheelchair user. My question is the property in my opinion is not suitable ie they would not be able to get in the bath, could not get up the step to get into property without assistance. They have asked to rent the property but where do I stand legally if they then move in and cannot use the facilities. Would I be liable or have to accomadate there needs.
    As I would think there would have to be a couple of major jobs and say four or five minor jobs.
    Any advise greatly welcome.

    Sounds like whether you pay for it or not, your property would need altering to accomodate them. If you don't want that happening, best think of some other reason not to let to them, or you might find yourself facing a discrimination lawsuit.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


      One of my tenants became disabled. Social Services wrote to me asking if I would agree to aids being installed by them including a stair lift. There was no cost to me for installation but I asked them if they would remove them when they were no longer needed but they refused. In the event the lady's son who lived with her removed them.


        One of my tenants has a disabled son. They rent a bungalow off me. The son is now getting bigger and heavier and the bungalow is become increasingly unsuitable as the Social Services say they cannot attach hoists to the ceilings and movable hoists need more space in the bathroom than there is. Also, SS are reluctant to make changes to the bungalow becasue it's a private let. The family are looking for an adapted property but as builders of new developments aren't required to include them in their developments they are few and far between. I think in OPs case he could claim that he is not in a position to be able to determine whether the prospective T is able to get in and out of the bath etc. - that's up to the tenant.


          You have a duty to make reasonable adjustments under the equality act 2010 but you don't have to remove or alter a physical feature.

          This page has some general information on this:

          For what is a reasonable adjustment, see halfway done the page it says:
          "... consider:
          • if a particular adjustment would prevent the disadvantage for you - the more likely it is to do that, the more likely it is to be reasonable
          • how long you’re likely to be in the property compared to the cost and disruption of the adjustment
          • how much it will cost - a local authority might be able to spend more than a private landlord with only one property
          • how difficult it will be for the landlord, property manager or controller to make the adjustment
          • how difficult it will be to undo the adjustment when you leave the home"


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Dogs
            by royw
            What does your AST say about it?
            05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
          • Dogs
            by Bridge2020
            My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
            05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
          • Advice on s.8 & s.21
            by Hetty911
            Hi all,

            Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

            Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
            05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
            by Hudson01
            Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
            05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
          • Accelerated possession order
            by Pariah81
            A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

            I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
            05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
            by theartfullodger
            Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

            Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
            05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
            by Pariah81
            Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

            Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
            05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
          • Reply to Dogs
            by ash72
            The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
            05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
          • Reply to Dogs
            by jpkeates
            I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
            You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
            05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
          • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
            by jpkeates
            Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
            You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
            And, you're right, don't renew it.

            To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

            If the tenant doesn't owe...
            05-12-2021, 16:13 PM