X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period

Hello,

Just a quick question.

I am on a periodic tenancy contract. I pay rent on 14th of each month through to the 13th of the next month.

I want to move house and give notice to leave the property.

If I give notice on 9th May this month, does that mean I can legally move out on 13th June? I have seen conflicting answers to it. Some of them suggest I should have given notice on 30th April.

The tenancy agreement says 'If the tenant gives notice to leave the property at the end of a fixed term, or at any later date, they must give a month's notice' 'For a periodic tenancy, any notice given must end on the date on which the rent is due' or something similar.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this.

Josh

Yes if SPT already started.

Comment

The rent due date is academic, your notice must be a minimum of a month, ending at the end of a tenancy period.
      That's usually the date the rent is due, but not always.

The tenancy period ends on the day of the month the last fixed term did (if the rent is paid monthly).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You are right, 13th June seems to be a correct date.

It is possible there is another correct date but if you assumed 13th June when handing n your notice then that is your good faith date.

Has your landlord or agent queried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh1u View Post
          I am on a periodic tenancy contract.
          Please clarify whether this means:

(a) the tenancy was periodic from the start;

(b) the agreement provided for the tenancy to start as a fixed term and then continue as periodic;

(c) the agreement provided for a fixed term which expired so that you now have a statutory periodic tenancy.

Originally posted by Josh1u View Post
          The tenancy agreement says 'If the tenant gives notice to leave the property at the end of a fixed term, or at any later date, they must give a month's notice' 'For a periodic tenancy, any notice given must end on the date on which the rent is due' or something similar.
          May we please have the exact wording?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
            srclinton
            I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
            21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
          • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
            srclinton
            All noted. Thank you all....
            22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
          • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
            kaidranzer
            Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
            11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
          • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
            Sydney
            Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
            22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
          • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
            Orangesandlemons
            Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
            22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
          • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
            AndrewDod
            - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
            22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
          • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
            Joe.K
            Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
            The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
            20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
          • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
            Joe.K
            Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
            22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
          • Agent ignoring periodic option
            oakhill
            My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
            I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
            I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
            21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
          • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
            doobrey
            Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
            22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
          Working...
          X