X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period

Hello,

Just a quick question.

I am on a periodic tenancy contract. I pay rent on 14th of each month through to the 13th of the next month.

I want to move house and give notice to leave the property.

If I give notice on 9th May this month, does that mean I can legally move out on 13th June? I have seen conflicting answers to it. Some of them suggest I should have given notice on 30th April.

The tenancy agreement says 'If the tenant gives notice to leave the property at the end of a fixed term, or at any later date, they must give a month's notice' 'For a periodic tenancy, any notice given must end on the date on which the rent is due' or something similar.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this.

Josh

Yes if SPT already started.

Comment

The rent due date is academic, your notice must be a minimum of a month, ending at the end of a tenancy period.
      That's usually the date the rent is due, but not always.

The tenancy period ends on the day of the month the last fixed term did (if the rent is paid monthly).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You are right, 13th June seems to be a correct date.

It is possible there is another correct date but if you assumed 13th June when handing n your notice then that is your good faith date.

Has your landlord or agent queried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh1u View Post
          I am on a periodic tenancy contract.
          Please clarify whether this means:

(a) the tenancy was periodic from the start;

(b) the agreement provided for the tenancy to start as a fixed term and then continue as periodic;

(c) the agreement provided for a fixed term which expired so that you now have a statutory periodic tenancy.

Originally posted by Josh1u View Post
          The tenancy agreement says 'If the tenant gives notice to leave the property at the end of a fixed term, or at any later date, they must give a month's notice' 'For a periodic tenancy, any notice given must end on the date on which the rent is due' or something similar.
          May we please have the exact wording?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X