Deposit Deductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit Deductions

Could someone advise the best procedure to request deductions from the tenants' deposit. As the process is quite time-limited do I need to get itemised quotes for repairs and missing items or are there any guidelines on what to charge for things such as removing wall fixings, repairing holes, broken plumbing etc. I'm aware of the rules surrounding age of the items and only claiming for part of the redecoration costs. Is it down to me to make these calculations or do the deposit holders adjust them?

It is the tenant's money, you are trying to extract some of it. Would you give up your hard earned cash to someone who was charging whatever they felt like? I suspect you would want something to prove how much it was going to cost. You need something to show what you are asking for is reasonable and quotes are the easiest way to do that.

Comment

Goodness me I'm quite shocked by your reply. I am an extremely reasonable landlord and have no intention of extracting anything unreasonably which is why I've asked for constructive advice. Our tenants have caused damage which is going to cost a lot put right. I've already agreed to overlook several things that many landlords wouldn't.

Comment

Don't overlook things, claim for everything. Obtain quotes and submit them with your claim.

Comment

You don't need to get quotes, but it helps to establish that the claim is reasonable.

The downside is that getting quotes in writing that are useful is next to impossible - people just don't work like that nowadays.
          I've considered using sites that "connect" users with tradespeople to try and get quotes.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you. Yes it is difficult getting quotes for bits and pieces. I've managed to get a separate quote from our builder for replacing silicone but it's difficult finding one tradesman that can itemise for the several smallish repairs.

Are you thinking of websites like MyHammer?

Comment

From my own experience, I managed to get evict a tenant back in Dec and then I submitted my claim to the DPS in April as the tenant didn't initiate the request, I got all the repairs done and put the act costs incurred including the stolen items.

If your tenant has already stated the request I would just get 2 people in who do various trades from a company and give you a quote on the works needed. If you have a check out inventory it will help on any details the quote doesn't go into.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                If your tenant has already stated the request
                Do you mean if our tenant has requested their deposit back from the deposit holder?

Comment

" I've managed to get a separate quote from our builder for replacing silicone but it's difficult finding one tradesman that can itemise for the several smallish repairs."

I am not sure what a tenant can do to silicone that means it need replacing and if the other repairs are smallish is it worth the bother?

Comment

It was only a year old in the bathrooms and kitchen and completely disintegrated. It does happen if water's left on it constantly. Going to cost £140.

yes all backed up with the inventory.

Comment

"It was only a year old in the bathrooms and kitchen and completely disintegrated. It does happen if water's left on it constantly"

Not in my experience but I am prepared to learn - think you have a better case against the person who applied the "silicone" to the bathroom and kitchen.

Comment

You cannot use quotes directly unless they are for repairs that allow you to preserve the original installation, for the less than the amount you could recover to replace it. If you actually end up replacing something you need to use the price when it was originally installed, written off over the useful life in a rental property.

Comment

Originally posted by jicms View Post
                          Goodness me I'm quite shocked by your reply. I am an extremely reasonable landlord and have no intention of extracting anything unreasonably which is why I've asked for constructive advice. Our tenants have caused damage which is going to cost a lot put right. I've already agreed to overlook several things that many landlords wouldn't.
                          You are shocked by someone pointing out the law, which you dont understand, and appear to think it unreasonable to provide your tenant with estimates of the cost of the work. Presumably you have not managed to agree something with your tenant.

You are claiming for damaged silicone, which is probably down to shoddy work by your builder. Most landlords would probably not charge for small holes in the wall - unless they were either in external walls or so many they required redecoration earlier than normal - and what are the fittings to the wall that you cant leave them there? You are entitled to have them removed and claim the cost of removal but sometimes if a tenant felt it necessary to put something up (e.g. a blind at a kitchen window) the next tenant may too.

Deposit holders can, and do, "adjust" (and refuse ) claims that are extortionate. It is landlords acting unreasonably over deposits that led to the law being enacted.

Comment

buzzard1994,

Thank you I am well aware of the law and I think you are extremely impolite. I have not said or implied it is unreasonable to provide estimates and this is what I intend to do. I was asking for constructive advice which is usually found on this forum.

You have not seen the silicone or the actual damage to it and the surrounding area. The holes are numerous and not all "small holes". Our contract states that these are to be filled at the end of the tenancy. They are throughout and nothing to do with putting something like a blind up (I would expect a tenant to ask before doing this). The decoration was new and it's reasonable to want to offer the next tenant the same standard subject to standard wear and tear and repainting.

Why are you implying my claims are extortionate?! I have never acted "unreasonably" and usually quite the opposite, accepting most things as wear and tear.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
                              by hazedunks
                              Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
                              21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
                            • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
                              by leaseholder64
                              If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
                              20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
                            • Unilateral Break Clause
                              by PadHicks
                              Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
                              20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
                            • Reply to Online Letting Agents
                              by royw
                              I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
                              20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
                            • Online Letting Agents
                              by kathekas
                              Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

Many thanks
                              20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
                            • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                              by jpkeates
                              Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
                              You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
                              Ideally your solicitor...
                              20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
                            • Advise when buying a property
                              by alejandrog89
                              Hi,

We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
                              20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
                            • Reply to Possession of Property advice
                              by DPT57
                              Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
                              20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
                            • Possession of Property advice
                              by mirfie
                              Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
                              20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
                            • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                              by Flashback1966
                              Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

If it is a water pipe leak, it...
                              20-11-2019, 17:54 PM
                            Working...
                            X