Advice needed - rogue lettings agent and my elderly Mother

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hudson01
    I can not add much to what has been said above but given your mother thinks the sun shines out of this guys...... you get the idea, i think a quiet chat over a cup of tea is in order to get her to understand the real situation, otherwise she will be inclined to fight you all the way in your endeavors to assist her.

    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    Originally posted by RobertSto View Post
    How do I terminate the agreement with someone there is no real agreement with?
    There is clearly an agreement, a service is provided and money paid, but it's not a written agreement.
    You can't terminate the agreement, only your mother can.

    If she wishes to end the agreement, she should write to the agent giving them notice.
    In the absence of an agreement, I would suggest that something like three month's notice is more than reasonable.

    If your mother has retained this person, I'd say the responsibility is hers, not the agents. If the agent is earning enough to be VAT registered, some kind if business exists. And the property is let constantly, which means that some kind of service is being supplied.

    1 - that's unusual but not unheard of. Is your mother declaring the income to HMRC?

    2 - No gas safety inspection would be bad. Properly logged maintenance is good. Many agents provide a gas safety inspection via an insurance service, so a specifici charge may not be noticable.

    3 - A number of agents pass deposits to landlords (I insist mine does, for example). It depends what service has been agreed.

    4 - That's your mother's responsibility, not the agents (although a good agent would at least bring it up).

    Leave a comment:

  • RobertSto
    That's another thing, there is no contract between them. She literally handed over the keys to him at his Father's house during a social gathering. He's charging 12% + VAT per month. I doubt he even pays the government the VAT.

    I'm not sure exactly where things stand in this case. How do I terminate the agreement with someone there is no real agreement with?

    Leave a comment:

  • mariner
    Get a GSC done asap
    Did Agent actually forward rent monthly to mother?
    Check Agent's Contract with mother for release date, poss 3 months.

    Leave a comment:

  • buzzard1994
    Your mother is liable for her agent, although has the potential to sue them for negligence. I'd visit the property to see what is actually going on there. Find out from the tenant how long they have been there and how long they plan to stay.

    She wont be able to evict without returning the deposit and getting the paperwork in order. You also need to check the condition of the place and whether the maintenance has actually been carried out.

    Leave a comment:

  • JK0
    Not much you can do about the unprotected deposits now.

    Maybe instruct the other agent to take over running the place?

    Leave a comment:

  • Advice needed - rogue lettings agent and my elderly Mother

    Good Evening Landlordzone,

    I am in desperate need of help regarding what to do with an agent I feel has taken advantage of my Mother. The property is located in England. I believe the tenancy started on 06/02/2014. I can't say much more about the agreement as I cannot see it!

    I have lived in Hong Kong for 7 years and just moved back. My mother has two properties that she inherited. One of them is being managed by an agent who is frankly awful. I visited her yesterday and an off hand comment made me ask if I could look through her records. This is what I have found:

    1) Rent is paid in batches months apart. Example is a "statement" in November which contains July, August, and Septembers rents.

    2) Lots of maintenance work is logged but despite this being a gas property, I don't see evidence of annual safety inspections or anything similar.

    3) My Mother has had two tenancies with this guy and he has not protected the deposit either time. He's simply paid my Mother the deposit.

    4) I see no evidence of an EPC for the property or any other documentation.

    This guy is the Son of someone my late Uncle used to work with a long time ago. My Mother thinks he's a great person because he makes her tea whenever she is in the area. I really didn't want to stress her out with how bad this could be until I got some advice. I tried to call the guy twice today and ask him about all these things. He has no office, no website, nothing. He has kept the property let consistently, and sends inspection pictures at random intervals (last two are 14 months apart) but this is nothing compared to all the wrong he's done. I think this is what my Mother thought made him seem legitimate. He also has fancy correspondence like very professional looking statements etc.

    Now here is my main problem. How liable is my Mother for the actions of this guy? All these things he hasn't done like safety inspections and protecting the deposits. I also highly doubt he's provided any of the required information like the EPC and how to let documents etc. I think it's worth noting that my Mother's second property is managed perfectly. Protected deposits, annual inspections etc. So in my mind she isn't acting as a negligent landlord here. Although will the courts see it that way?

    Additionally, I'm pretty certain that my Mother will need to sell one of these properties in the near future. I've just found out with no protected deposit, she cannot evict the tenants without extensive costs. Is this true?

    I acknowledge that my Mother has made a mistake in handing over her property to someone without the required experience, but she really thought she was giving it to a professional, and that's all she needed to do.

    How do I get rid of this landlord? What do I do about the unprotected deposits?

    The gas safety is the major issue and I've already reached out to some engineers and my plan is to get them in the property ASAP. This is the right thing to do, correct?

    Anything else that stands out as something I need to do?

Latest Activity


  • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
    by theartfullodger
    Sounds like some education in how to be a landlord might be wise. When I started I thought I knew what I was doing. I didn't, expensive, stupid, mistakes! If you think education is expensive, try ignorance....
    26-05-2022, 19:52 PM
  • Tenancy Agreement Help
    by Harrison38784
    Hi all,

    I am a new landlord and looking for some help with the AST.

    I have created a tenancy agreement which is now ready for signing.

    The tenancy agreement is due to start on the 1st July.

    Can the tenancy agreement be signed before the move in...
    26-05-2022, 18:02 PM
  • Reply to Special clauses
    by theartfullodger
    Agreed, break clauses very very easy to get wrong.

    Much simpler, easier, more flexibility to evict, fixed term 6 months then periodic....
    26-05-2022, 19:50 PM
  • Special clauses
    by Harrison38784
    Hi All,

    I want to add the following break clause into my AST, but I’m wondering if I do so, do I also need to give my tenant also a break clause?

    ‘The Landlord may terminate this agreement by giving the Tenant not less than 2 months' written notice expiring [on or at any...
    26-05-2022, 18:16 PM
  • Reply to Agreement for friends to live in my house
    by Hudson01
    Well you have heard the opinions of a great many very experienced landlords........ you are taking a very big risk with this, you say you don't need the money, so why take the risk ? Leave it empty and come back to it still....... empty, there is zero guarantee they will move out, friends or not.
    26-05-2022, 19:38 PM
  • Agreement for friends to live in my house
    by Tippy
    I cannot find a definitive answer to my question by googling so here goes.

    I have a house that I wish to allow a family who are close friends to live in while I live abroad as UK non-resident. I am trying to work out what sort of contract I should make between us.

    I don't mind...
    26-05-2022, 08:48 AM
  • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
    by ash72
    You created the AST, or you got it from somewhere?

    You can get the AST signed before someone moves in (how soon would they actually move in?) and when are you giving the keys?

    You should have a Guarantor's specific agreement if your going down that route, these days they can...
    26-05-2022, 18:24 PM
  • Reply to Special clauses
    by KTC
    Generally yes, landlord only break clause is an unfair term. There's really only very limited reasons to have break clause in typical residential letting. Just do a 6 months fixed term and then let it roll periodic.
    26-05-2022, 18:23 PM
  • Reply to Access to neighbouring property act.
    by Neelix
    i only pointed this out because so many people don’t realise this.

    so there’s no point in blocking access IMHO...
    26-05-2022, 18:12 PM
  • Reply to Lodger is in police custody for weeks or years. What to do with lodger's possessions?
    by Hudson01
    If the landlord does this then the storage company would come after him as it's he who has the contract witht them, not sure i would do this. I would though ask the Police to pass on the ex lodgers legal representitive, he or she will be in contact with the alleged offender and they can ask him what...
    26-05-2022, 17:36 PM