Claiming some of the deposit

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Claiming some of the deposit

    I've been letting out my house (It's in the UK, it was an AST, tenant gave me notice and has now moved out).

    She's left the garden in a right state though. I told her about it the last time I went to do an inspection and she said yeh, she'd do it. But she hasn't. It's in the contract that she has to maintain it. I've got photographs from the check in to show what it was like before. so I want to keep back some of her deposit. The thing is I couldn't get any gardener to do it. I had a couple look, I had others that just didn't get back to the end, I dragged my dad along and we both got stuck in and got it sorted, it was a day's work for us, and hard work. Now from what I read, if the tenant appeals against my claim, and it goes to an adjudicator, I'm not going to be able to claim for my own time. They'll want invoices from a company and I don't have that. All I've got is a message from one when I asked for just a very rough idea of price and he said £150 to £300. So I've told her I'm claiming £200, which I think is fair.

    I can provide receipts for the bit of weedkiller and tools, etc, but is there any way I'll get any more that that if she argues it.

    If you have a quote of £150 to £300, a claim of £200 looks like a guess.
    But the tenant might accept it.

    If that's what you've claimed, there isn't much else to do.

    Your claim is for the loss in value of your property beyond fair wear and tear.
    In the tenancy agreement, the tenant agreed to maintain the garden and they didn't, so what you're claiming for is the loss arising from that breach of the contract.

    There's nothing to stop you claiming for your own time.

    If you claim that there was 8 hours work for 2 people to bring the garden back to an acceptable state, and, use 8.21 as the rate (which is the UK minimum wage) that might be a more acceptable claim.
    Explain how you have worked out the claim, and that it was cheaper than paying a third party and the tenant might simply accept it.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Ah I see what you're saying, I just tried to be reasonable and go for the low end of the quote. But yes, it's not the most accurate.

      I just had the impression that if it went to an adjudicator they'd ask for receipts and invoices, and when I can't provide those, because I did it myself, they'll automatically disregard my claim. I guess I'll soon find out.

      She won't accept anything at all in our negotiation so far.


        The fact she won't accept anything you say i think gives you the idea of how this could go, she is simply one '' of those'' who would argue black is white..... all the best.


          As above, youre claiming for your loss, or if you like the damage done by neglecting the garden. As long as you can quantify that you have a legitimate claim. You dont need to even do the work to restore it if you dont want to so youre not really claiming for your time


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123
            So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
            02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
          • End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123

            I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
            01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
          • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
            by bob369
            I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
            Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
            02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
          • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
            by bob369

            A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

            I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
            24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
          • Reply to End of tenancy questions
            by jpkeates
            You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

            The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
            02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
          • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by Section20z
            The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
            02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
          • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by meehr
            For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
            01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
          • Reply to End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123
            But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
            02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
          • Reply to who's repsponsibility
            by jpucng62
            Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
            02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
          • who's repsponsibility
            by madmaxwell
            Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
            02-12-2021, 08:54 AM