Grade 2 listed - requirement for an EPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grade 2 listed - requirement for an EPC

I have a potential client who wants me to rent his Grade 2 listed barn conversion. It's a lovely property and he currently has it on the market for sale with another agent.

They currently have an EPC for it (even though I don't think they needed one) and it's score is F.

After 1st April 2020 all properties will require their EPC to be at least E in order to be compliant, but where do we stand given that this is a listed building and should not really require an EPC?

Has the fact that they've already gotten one scuppered their chances of ever letting it again?

EPC is a legal requirement before sale or renting.
    It is for then LL to make nec improvements to raise score to E by required date and obtain an updated EPC
    Why do you think a Grade 2 listed Barn conversion /residential is exempt from EPC?
    Though lLsted status may restrict nec improvements.

Comment

It highly likely needs an EPC like everyone else.

If consent is required for the relevant improvement, then the landlord need to make reasonable efforts to obtain said consent. If landlord were unable to obtain such consent, then the property can be registered as exempt.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

The EPC will have a few cheap suggestions to get it to an E, won't it?

Comment

Thanks all.

Yes, I have now read up on obtaining an exemption from meeting the minimum standard, which it seems is the path we will probably have to go down.

The cheapest option the EPC recommends is to install a condensing boiler at a cost of £2500. But it will actually cost far more than that due to the type of building and where the pipes will have to run.

Thanks again.

Comment

I wonder how many perfectly good buildings (and cars, and fridges, and light fittings) have been scrapped or destroyed as a result of these environmental evangelists. I suspect they are responsible for a great deal of environmental destruction (both planetary destruction and destruction of our infrastructure). I am greatly concerned about the environment -- but these people are simply idiots and vandals.

I just fitted 10 thermostatic valves to radiators in my own home. I did them because the valves needed replacing anyway as some were leaking. As a primary environmental change it would be totally pointless - it will take decades to achieve more energy saving than the cost of the metal involved and the petrol used by the fitters. A lot of EPC changes are similar - yes it is worth fitting a new boiler of decent design if you are changing one anyway. Scrapping 50kg of perfectly good material just for the sake of it is another matter altogether.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
              srclinton
              I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
              21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
            • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
              srclinton
              All noted. Thank you all....
              22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
            • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
              kaidranzer
              Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
              11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
            • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
              Sydney
              Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
              22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
            • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
              Orangesandlemons
              Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
              22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
            • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
              AndrewDod
              - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
              22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
            • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
              Joe.K
              Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
              The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
              20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
            • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
              Joe.K
              Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
              22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
            • Agent ignoring periodic option
              oakhill
              My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
              I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
              I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
              21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
            • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
              doobrey
              Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
              22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
            Working...
            X