Renting to international students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting to international students

if a guarantor for an international student is useless - then should we be asking for the entire fixed term upfront?

any other things you would suggest for internetional students?

When I was in that market I just took the risk. I think that in practice very few foreign students default, possibly because they are afraid of being thrown off their course and out of the country, (they don't know that that's unlikely to happen here). You could ask for 6 months rent up front but that's likely to limit your options. I never lost a penny in rent from all the students I had, In fact when one boy had to drop out mid year due to illness, his parents continued to pay the rent for the rest of the year. I didn't bother with guarantors either.

Comment

I agree with DPT57 as I too just took the risk with foreign students. However I would caution that International Student is a broad term these days - it can cover someone who enrols in one of the 'one room colleges' for three months or on work placement in a restaurant. To allow for flexibility I usually offered an individual contract in a HMO.

I found that I needed to make more detailed checks, particularly on how much family support will be available. If the parents or family are happy with the housing arrangements made, then generally things will go smoothly. You need to be aware of some very different cultural background issues - particularly when mixing people in a houseshare e.g. are they from a hot country and prefer the heating on really high? There are other examples which are specific to certain countries and areas which you need to accept and deal with. Sometimes their family comes over for a holiday to stay with them - in the houseshare!

In the past I have taken guarantees from relatives to gain their commitment, in the knowledge that I never enforced one( even a UK one) and if I needed to it may prove worthless (also like a UK one)

I enjoyed having International students as the majority were tidy, respectful and came from good families, but as with letting in general you can get a problem from time to time.

Comment

Sometimes universities will act as a guarantor for their students. There is also at least one company that say they will be a guarantor for a fee https://www.housinghand.co.uk/student-rent-guarantor/

Comment

good responses thank you
          if i wanted to go ahead with a guarantor then would they sign their agreement after or before the tenancy is signed by the tenants, i assume after

Comment

Would you give any T an AST before any G was accrpted?

Comment

Originally posted by adlettings View Post
              good responses thank you
              if i wanted to go ahead with a guarantor then would they sign their agreement after or before the tenancy is signed by the tenants, i assume after
              You assume wrong - it will then be unenforceable. A guarantor must see the tenancy documents and sign their agreement before the tenancy is signed. You should also include the suggestion that they take legal advice before signing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X