Asking about CCJs up front?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking about CCJs up front?

Recently, there was a thread about whether an applicant should come clean and declare any CCJs at the time of application. My question is whether as a LL you should explicitly ask an applicant if they want to declare any CCJs before you carry out a credit check.

Personally, as a LL, I have no problem letting to people with CCJs if I can trust them and they are on their way from debt to being debt free. We all get into a mess at some stage in our life and we all need helping out of it.

However, the last two applicants from scant few viewings of a 2-bed terrace in a pretty rundown area have turned out to both have 2 outstanding CCJs which they didn't declare. We declined in both cases because that was, as far as we're concerned, already a risk to the trust you need between T and LL for a successful tenancy. In both cases, people who were in debt simply wasted their application fee and thereby hurt their finances. So, I'm wondering if it would be better for all concerned to just ask.

My initial reservation is that by asking, you don't give the applicant the opportunity to make this info explicit themselves. That would always work in their favour with us.

Yeah, by all means ask. Why wouldn't you, unless it is considered non pc nowadays?

Comment

In my limited experience, most people with CCJ does not know what a CCJ is. Either that or they are trying to hide it, because I've never seen anyone put they have CCJ.

Comment

"Do you have any CCJ's?"

Not that I know about.

What's a CCJ?

(And yes, you can get one without knowing anything about it).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
          "Do you have any CCJ's?"

Not that I know about.
          That would be a "Next!" from me.

Comment

CCJ's are spent after 6 years so they dont have to declare them

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post
              CCJ's are spent after 6 years so they dont have to declare them
              They do to me.

"Have you had any financial problems in the past?"

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

They do to me.

"Have you had any financial problems in the past?"
                You can ask but legally under GDPR and data protection guidelines they dont have to declare anything spent...

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                  Yeah, by all means ask. Why wouldn't you, unless it is considered non pc nowadays?
                  I answered this in my OP...

Originally posted by myself
                  My initial reservation is that by asking, you don't give the applicant the opportunity to make this info explicit themselves. That would always work in their favour with us.
                  I'm on about current CCJs. Anything older than 6 years it's their right to keep quiet about - nothing I can do about that. But at least they won't have picked up anything new in the last 6 years which is better than nothing.

Comment

As from June 1st, you'd be wasting your own money on the credit check, I'd ask.

Everyone is going to see a huge increase in people with bad credit making applications in the chance that someone doesn't check properly.
                    I'm expecting to see agents and landlords insisting on the tenant providing a recent credit report before they process anyone's application.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I use a tenant application form as soon as the let is agreed verbally. It asks about CCJs and lots of other useful stuff.

Comment

would you be willing to share that form DPT57 ?

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        I'm expecting to see agents and landlords insisting on the tenant providing a recent credit report before they process anyone's application.
                        I assume it costs money to get a credit report. If we insist on it as a pre-requisite to application, would we not therefore be in breach of the new rules?

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                          would you be willing to share that form DPT57 ?
                          Its an RLA form so I dont think I can, but you may be able to find a free equivalent online.

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                            I assume it costs money to get a credit report. If we insist on it as a pre-requisite to application, would we not therefore be in breach of the new rules?
                            Noddle is a free credit check service (it's ad funded), but the new rules don't allow a landlord or agent to require a tenant to contract with a 3rd party either, so it's going to be an issue at some point.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                              As from June 1st, you'd be wasting your own money on the credit check, I'd ask.

Everyone is going to see a huge increase in people with bad credit making applications in the chance that someone doesn't check properly.
                              I already ask for a full credit report. It's quite revealing what they show. With my last tenant I gave him a list of documents he needed to provide as well as a full credit report so he did, in effect, do his own tenant referencing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X