Very poor credit score and renting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very poor credit score and renting

A friend of mine was looking at renting to someone who is on UC with 2 kids and has declared she has a CCJ for non-payment of rent which happened with her ex-partner. My friend was happy to go along with that as she declared it but then did a clearscore credit check (with the potential tenant's permission) and it came back as 140/700 which anything below 279 is considered very poor, also there was records of the person defaulting on non-rental things such as energy bills and telephone contracts. Anyway the landlady decided she didn't want to risk it.

Anway in situations like this I was wondering what do you do with people who have very bad credit scores and history of defaulting wanting to rent?

By ' what do you do ' what exactly do you mean ? I as a landlord would do nothing, i would decline them and that would be the end of it. Their best bet would be in social housing (if it can be found), i certainly would not take that chance and i know most of my friends who also are landlords would do the same. I do have an amount of sympathy for those in that position but with housing in short supply bad debt counts very badly against the person and i am unsure what options they have other than placing themselves at the charity of the local authority for temp housing if that is the situation they are in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
      By ' what do you do ' what exactly do you mean ?
      Just was wondering when is a good time to say no as some people suggest having a guarantor however guarantors often seem to get angry when asked to meet their financial obligations that they have signed up to guarantee. If I was in the landlord's position I would say no.

Comment

A Leopard never changes its spots even with a Personal Guarantor sitting behind them.It May be harsh but you may have a BtL Mortgage and the lender will show no sympathy if you default on your mortgage payments because your tenant with a proven history of non payment doesn’t pay and you are in a queue at the County Court seeking financial redress from the Guarantor. Simply say No and make no apology for your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeUsername View Post

Just was wondering when is a good time to say no as some people suggest having a guarantor however guarantors often seem to get angry when asked to meet their financial obligations that they have signed up to guarantee. If I was in the landlord's position I would say no.
          Guarantors are rarely given proper information about what they are taking on. I've had to be a guarantor for a student child - and the contract was not even provided before they moved in for one tenancy.

If I was feeling kind I might direct them to some online advice on how to improve their credit score and suggest a visit to the CAB for financial advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X