Options for repairing a washing machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for repairing a washing machine

The washing machine in the flat I rent (only me in the flat, no shared facilities, AST that went periodic years ago, located in London) stopped working today (power light comes on but nothing else happens).

The washing machine was in the flat when I moved in. According to the tenancy agreement, I’m responsible for repairing everything in the flat except the things the landlord is required to repair by law, which I understand does not include washing machines. However, the landlord (or rather a person working for the landlord) has repaired the washing machine in the past. I don’t know if that means they’ve implicitly agreed to be responsible for it.

My landlord (a company) mandates the use of an online tool to report repairs. To report the problem with the washing machine, I had to provide details about the make and model, a description of the problem, and photos and videos demonstrating the problem (photos are required for all repair requests for white goods). It took me about half an hour to collate all the necessary information, take the photos and videos, and fill in the report.

As soon as I submitted it, I received an automated email stating that due to staff leave, my report had been deleted unread. The email invited me to report the problem again on or after May 1st i.e. in nine days time. The email said the only exception to this is emergencies. I found an earlier email which defines an emergency as a defect resulting in “risk of danger to the health, safety and security of a tenant at the property; or risk of danger to the health, safety and security of a third party at the property; or a defect that affects the structure of the property.”

So it’s not an emergency. This means I can’t even report the problem until the middle of next week. And it will presumably take them a few days to arrange to send one of their repair people out. Since the first weekend of May is another bank holiday weekend, it’s easy to envisage that I could be waiting more than two weeks. I’m going to need to wash some clothes before then.

So what’s my best option?

I could wait until May to report it and wash my clothes in a launderette in the meantime. Unfortunately, the launderette I used the last time the washing machine broke has now closed. However, according to Google Maps, there’s another one that’s probably close enough that I could walk there carrying a bag of laundry (I don’t have a car and it doesn’t look like there’s any parking at the laundrette). Due to its opening hours, I’d only be able to go there at the weekend, but I can probably make it work, maybe supplemented by hand-washing some items or buying a few new pairs of socks etc.

The other option is to see if I can arrange a repair myself. It seems I’m allowed to do this under the tenancy agreement. However, I’m wary of this. Presumably I’d be setting myself up for liability if the repair person I find ends up damaging it further. I’m also worried I might be told it’s beyond repair and the only option is a replacement. If it was replaced, I presume I would be required to keep the broken washing machine until the end of the tenancy, which wouldn’t be practical (the flat is only 30m2 so there isn’t really space). If a replacement is required, would it be acceptable to arrange for the council to collect the broken one if I leave the new one in the flat when I move out? (Not that I especially want to gift my landlord a new washing machine.)

I’m inclined to just wait until next month when I’m allowed to report the problem to the landlord. Is that the best option? Or is there something I’m missing?

Wow, that is a lot of thinking and planning for something as simple as a broken washing machine, i have a coupe of flats with all white goods included with the tenancy, if either tenant called with the same issue i would simply have a local repairer come out in a day or two and either fix it or if not then i would replace it with a new one ! The white goods were in my flats when i let them and i consider they are my responsibility. In your situation i would do as you think and wait until next week but see if a mate can assist with your washing until then or take as few a trips to the local launderette as possible. It does sound like your in a poor situation for such a basic repair. Good luck.

Comment

If it were me, I would report it again using their emergency process.

Comment

Was the WM listed in the inventory? If so they provided it, they have to keep it in good working order. I too would report it as an emergency if only to make them aware asap

Comment

You have reported breakdown asap, you have your email and their response?
          If LL arranges replacement he should pay for disposal of his 'property'..
          Don't you know your current LL contact details?
          Ask yourself if you are prepared to accept free repair/replacement?

Comment

power light comes on but nothing else happens
            Mine does that now and again.
            Unplug it, wait a few minutes for the door lock to release, open and close the door, plug it back in, problem solved.
            Of course yours could be a different problem that's not going to be cured by that simple reset, but try the easy things first.

I’m going to need to wash some clothes before then.
            So what’s my best option?
            Bathtub, sink, bucket, local laundrette, friendly neighbour?
            Millions of people around the world don't have a washing machine.
            For the first year I was in my current flat I didn't have one, I washed stuff by hand just like granny used to.
            You can still buy hand washing powder in your supermarket.

Comment

Have you checked there is nothing jamming the filter? Some machines wont start if there is - so make sure you get a torch and look inside for anything small. Then if possible check the outlet pipe is not blocked. If both are clean then it may be the door lock and switching off then on again may fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by dazwalsh View Post
                Was the WM listed in the inventory?
                No inventory was issued when I moved in.

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                You have reported breakdown asap, you have your email and their response?
                Well, sort of. The online tool uses a form for reporting repairs (not email). I have automated email response from the tool saying my report has not been received and has been automatically deleted. Not sure if I can be deemed to have reported the problem if I know they haven’t received it.

If LL arranges replacement he should pay for disposal of his 'property'..
                That’s what I would expect. But I was considering what would happen if I tried to deal with it myself and it had to be replaced. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Don't you know your current LL contact details?
                Of course I do. But they insist on the use of their online tool to report repairs.

Ask yourself if you are prepared to accept free repair/replacement?
                I don’t think I understand the question. I would be happy if it were repaired or replaced for free. I didn’t think that was under debate.

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                Mine does that now and again.
                Unplug it, wait a few minutes for the door lock to release, open and close the door, plug it back in, problem solved.
                Sorry, I gave an abridged description of the problem in my first post.

The programme dial is broken: it still rotates but without the characteristic clicking sound and it doesn’t change the selected programme.

I think this is why nothing happens when it turns on. I think one has to move the programme dial first to make pressing the power button do something. (The door lock doesn’t engage.)

I’ve looked online to look for a replacement dial but I can’t find any for my model. I think it might be too old for the parts to still be stocked (I think it’s about 15 years old).

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                Millions of people around the world don't have a washing machine.
                For the first year I was in my current flat I didn't have one, I washed stuff by hand just like granny used to.
                You can still buy hand washing powder in your supermarket.
                Millions of people around the world don’t have clean drinking water. I’ve lived without a functioning washing machine before (longest period was almost eighteen months) and I still have some hand washing powder in the cupboard, so I’m OK there. My question was more about whether and how I should attempt to get the issue with the washing machine resolved before the relevant employee of my landlord gets back from their holidays next week.

Comment

Is this a social landlord? An ordinary, small scale, private landlord would not have a web portal.

All landlords must supply an address for service, in England or Wales. They can't really deny knowledge once you send , and get accepted, a recorded delivery letter to that address, even if their systems want electronic submissions.

Comment

Looks like my post offering suggestions for where you might find spares got rejected. Google and you'll find plenty of suppliers.

And for a temporary fix https://removeandreplace.com/2015/08...ent-info-here/

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                      Is this a social landlord? An ordinary, small scale, private landlord would not have a web portal.
                      It’s a small private company, though the couple that own it seem to also own several other property letting companies, all based at the same office (which is not large by any means — roughly the same size as a small shop). The online tool is clearly an off-the-shelf thing that’s been branded and customised.

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                      All landlords must supply an address for service, in England or Wales. They can't really deny knowledge once you send , and get accepted, a recorded delivery letter to that address, even if their systems want electronic submissions.
                      I know the address. But given the multi-day time-frame of post, it’d probably be no quicker than waiting until their online system is accepting repair reports in a week.

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                      Looks like my post offering suggestions for where you might find spares got rejected. Google and you'll find plenty of suppliers.
                      Anywhere selling programme dials for a Bosch WFB2004GB/33? I can’t find anywhere that has them in stock.

Thanks for that. I tried removing the dial but it won’t budge and I’m scared of using too much force in case I damage it further.

Comment

Depends which part of it is broken - this company still lists at least one spare for that machine and has alternative suggestions for parts no longer available.

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/bosch/w...l_ref=13062186

Plenty of companies listing some spares for the machine.

Comment

Depends which part of it is broken - this company still lists at least one spare for that machine and has alternative suggestions for parts no longer available.

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/bosch/w...l_ref=13062186
                          Thanks, I’d not come across that site during my searches.

Unfortunately, the control knob is no longer available and the cooker knobs(!) it offers as alternatives have dimensions listed that would make them a little too large to fit. It could be the cam though.

Either way, I wouldn’t know unless I opened the machine up and having tried several times now, it seems removing the housing of the controls is beyond my abilities. In any case, the cam dispatch time is 10 working days, which would be May 10th, so I’m probably best waiting for my landlord to start accepting repair reports again.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant abandoning property
                            Ms London
                            What can be done about tenants just leaving the property without notice, nor paying rent before the end of the fixed term AST?

I'm talking about the rented room on AST in London started September last year. I've got no forwarding address and suspect they left abroad. Can I put it in court?...
                            05-06-2019, 22:30 PM
                          • Reply to Tenant abandoning property
                            leaseholder64
                            You won't get money from the UK job unless you find out about and request an attachment of earnings. The payment will be subject to affordability....
                            19-06-2019, 23:45 PM
                            mariner
                            T leaving keys in the property does not end the Tenancy, unless you accept them.
                            19-06-2019, 23:22 PM
                          • Live in landlord
                            Schie
                            Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?
                            19-06-2019, 22:40 PM
                          • Reply to Live in landlord
                            leaseholder64
                            You need an HMO licence even without the conversion, assuming double occupation of at least one double bedroom. This assumes there is no selective licensing for smaller HMOs.

You need to obey HMO regulations, even if there are only 4 residents, in total.
                            19-06-2019, 23:14 PM
                          • Council tax issue
                            buttons
                            I served a section 21 notice which ended on 2nd June on a tenant. The reason was the tenant had not claimed their housing benefit. They finally got this sorted and I got paid in April then again in May. I went to the house on 22 May, the tenant was just going into the house, the first time I had seen...
                            19-06-2019, 22:39 PM
                          • Reply to Council tax issue
                            scampicat
                            I had a similar problem with a tenant. I had to provide a tenancy agreement with a note written by me explaining that the tenancy was relinquishd early, by mutual agreement. I gave the date that she was responsible for the tenancy for (which was a month later than she said). A couple of months later...
                            19-06-2019, 22:49 PM
                          • 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
                            daz87
                            All,

First time landlord that is moving with work and renting out home.

Perspective tenants, working couple one on maternity, a number of children who are keen for longer tenancy agreement than 6 months due to schools and settling in.

They have a guarantor,...
                            19-06-2019, 14:59 PM
                          • Reply to 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
                            2006holly
                            Walk away from them, there’ll be plenty more potential tenants.
                            letting agent I engaged agreed to let my flat without giving me all the info on the tenant. It’s been a nightmare of constant late payments, so many lies by agents that are still coming to light, tenants income wasn’t verified,...
                            19-06-2019, 22:22 PM
                            Ms London
                            so the picture of an empty room with the keys on the table is good enough as evidence?
                            And I'll take it to the court but if they've got a job in Ireland, not in the UK, I'll not get my rent back? And if they do get a job in the UK, automatically they will be made to pay me the rent that they owe?...
                            19-06-2019, 20:39 PM
                          Working...
                          X