Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Join tenants now wants to be a single tenant

Hi All.

I haave a tenant who have been really good T for about 2 yers now, I had a text few days ago telling me that one of the join tenants has moved on and the remaining tenant wants the tenancy to be in thier sole name, now I purchased hte tenancy document about 2 years ago and simply entered the details on the document, now i am not sure how to handle the request, do a brand new tenancy, issue an adendum/letter etc ?

Thanks in advance

No need to do anything, is there, unless tenant gives notice?

Comment

As above, you don't actually have to do anything, the tenancy can continue as is, with the departing tenant still liable for everything.
      The complication with that is the deposit, which is owned by both of them, not the remaining tenant.

If you do start a new tenancy, which is the cleanest thing to do, treat the existing tenancy as having come to an end.
      Do a proper check out, sort out any damage as of today, return the deposit (with deductions if necessary), sign a new tenancy agreement and take a new deposit.

Otherwise, do nothing and let the tenants sort out their own deposit later on.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks all.

I guess what I would do is this, talk them through it and explain that nothing needs to be done, if they then insist that they want all the papeprwork done in just thier name, I then have to end the existing tenancy and a new one signed, they will just pay for the deposit protectoin.

I also wonder how it will work with the new law concerning deposits, as I believe they paid me 6 weeks deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
          I also wonder how it will work with the new law concerning deposits, as I believe they paid me 6 weeks deposit.
          Not in force till 1 June.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
            They have been in for 2 years... how is the place looking? Do you trust them?
            You could take a new tenancy being created as an opportunity to do many things, remove the deposit totally, reduce to 1 months deposit, increase the rent to market rate if its not currently etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X