Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private renting with housing benefits

Hi all,

So I'm currently looking at moving into the letting marking with my partner & new born child, current situation whereas she's fully employed and I've been self employed for 1 month.
    Upon checking many agents listings for properties we notice (No DHSS) a lot of the time?

I'm unsure whether this is a proposed move for people who are unemployed & claim only benefits or whether this also makes us ineligible to apply if we're going to also apply for housing benefits?

I'm hearing from some people personally that "No DSS" & "No DHSS" means that you can't have any benefits at all, you must pay for everything via your own professional income?

The LL would be providing you with a valuable asset from which she expects to obtain an income.
    The LL would want to ensure, as far as possible, that by letting to you she would receive rent on time and be able to recover from you the cost of repairing any damage you cause and the cost of addressing any other failure by you to observe the terms of the letting.

Being on benefits means that you are unlikely to have the money to pay for any default and may also mean that payment of rent is delayed (e.g. because universal credit is paid in arrears).

It is possible that the LL may let to you if you can provide someone who owns a property to act as guarantor for the duration of your tenancy and any subsequent tenancy (because this gives the LL a reasonable chance of recovering money if you default, and makes it less likely that you will default).

It is unfortunate that recent central government actions have made it less likely for LLs to let to those on benefits, and local government licencing schemes have reduced or eliminated he profitability of letting to those who rely on benefits.

Comment

See https://england.shelter.org.uk/profe...discrimination

I believe the politicians are getting concerned about this too.

Incidentally, DSS and DHSS haven't existed for a long time. They are really talking about any means tested benefit, and, in particular housing benefit.

The problem for landlords is that many people on benefits are unable to budget or they prioritise luxuries over essentials. Also benefits can dry up for extended periods, if the authorities take exception to something. And finally there is some correlation between benefits and ASB.

Government policy is now that almost everyone should budget fro themselves, so it is very difficult to get housing benefit paid direct to the landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by curtunknown View Post
        So I'm currently looking at moving into the letting marking with my partner & new born child, current situation whereas she's fully employed and I've been self employed for 1 month.
        Parallel with the benefits issue is your employment status.
        Most landlords will want evidence of your income going back a number of months (possibly years).
        One month's employment won't be acceptable to most landlords (possible mitigated by a guarantor).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for such prompt responses!

So let's put it out there & say, on the application I'd be put down as unemployed but my partners monthly pay is enough is cover the rent & some excess; this wouldn't warrant the need for her to say she's going to receive it (Housing Benefit) as long as she can prove a reliable source of income to the LL that would cover the monthly?

Comment

If she is going to receive housing benefit, it means that the authorities feel the combined household income falls well short of that needed to pay the rent and other essentials. Benefit levels are not generous.

Comment

She'll be asked if she receives benefits directly.
              She'll be asked for bank statements which will show where the money's coming from.
              Most credit checks require income to be a multiple of earnings (typically two or three times the rent - depending on where you are in the country).

Many landlords don't regard benefits as in any way reliable.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X