Tenancy Agreement not signed by my wife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Agreement not signed by my wife

I've just done a recent tenancy agreement, me and my wife jointly own the property and tenancy agreement had both our names on it. I forgot to get my wife to sign and when I checked the new tenants in I just initialled where my wife's signature should have been. It's niggling me that I should have got her to sign. The deposit is protected, that's under my name only, Inventory was under my name only and all other documents served correctly. Could this potentially cause me a problem if I ever need to evict? Should a tenancy agreement be in both names if a property is owned jointly?

Strictly speaking, there's no need for a tenancy agreement to be signed by the landlord at all.
    The contract is made when the tenant(s) accept the agreement offered to them by the landlord.

There's nothing wrong with the agreement being signed by one of you (or both).

There's actually nothing to stop you being the sole landlord of a property you both own (the landlord is whoever it says it is in the tenancy agreement).
    Ownership and being a landlord aren't really linked like that.

If you were the sole landlord, you'd be liable for the tax on all of the income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X