Tenancy Agreement not signed by my wife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Agreement not signed by my wife

I've just done a recent tenancy agreement, me and my wife jointly own the property and tenancy agreement had both our names on it. I forgot to get my wife to sign and when I checked the new tenants in I just initialled where my wife's signature should have been. It's niggling me that I should have got her to sign. The deposit is protected, that's under my name only, Inventory was under my name only and all other documents served correctly. Could this potentially cause me a problem if I ever need to evict? Should a tenancy agreement be in both names if a property is owned jointly?

Strictly speaking, there's no need for a tenancy agreement to be signed by the landlord at all.
    The contract is made when the tenant(s) accept the agreement offered to them by the landlord.

There's nothing wrong with the agreement being signed by one of you (or both).

There's actually nothing to stop you being the sole landlord of a property you both own (the landlord is whoever it says it is in the tenancy agreement).
    Ownership and being a landlord aren't really linked like that.

If you were the sole landlord, you'd be liable for the tax on all of the income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Breach of lease contract
        Tania Genco
        I bought the new leasehold flat refurbished 5 years ago by {Mod name removed}. From last December the building cladding fails to stop the rain water infiltration in my flat. Each rain the water penetrates through the walls and round the windows panels. In February, I sent the disrepair notice to {Mod...
        24-05-2019, 11:13 AM
      • Reply to Breach of lease contract
        Tania Genco
        I think that the cladding is not watertight, can be a latent defect. The problem is how to make builder to repair or correct any defective work. The developer denies any liability for problems have arisen 2 years after completion.
        25-05-2019, 19:00 PM
      • Reply to Breach of lease contract
        Tania Genco
        There is only the damage insurance. No collateral warranty, no NHBC or something similar
        25-05-2019, 18:49 PM
      • New Tenancy Issues
        AXY
        Good Evening All,

I found this forum by a happy accident and would like advice on a tenancy issues on which I am not an well versed in.

I have recently moved into a property which has a few issues that are making my stay as a tenant quite uncomfortable. The landlord was being...
        25-05-2019, 18:22 PM
      • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
        KTC
        The landlord doesn't have to be the owner (however you define it) of the property. Your landlord is whoever granted you the tenancy (i.e. who it says is the landlord on the tenancy agreement).

You have a right to unwind within 90 days of the start of the tenancy but if and only if you signed...
        25-05-2019, 18:32 PM
      • Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
        funkar
        Hello everyone.

It's about my tenant who was destined to give me trouble.

So, as soon as universal credit started, Rent payments switched to UC from the local council.

My tenant is ever since mostly drunk and enjoying the money which he was supposed to pay me as...
        24-05-2019, 22:02 PM
      • Reply to Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
        Hudson01
        I think the one real **** up about UC is the fact the govt thought that those in receipt of full HB could be trusted not to drink it all or smoke it all, sadly we know a lot can not handle any form of budgeting and it's this element which is causing most issues, get the tenant out ASAP and think very...
        25-05-2019, 18:15 PM
      • Renewing A Tenancy
        ABC123
        The tenant wants to renew the tenancy for a further fixed term of 3 years (with a break-clause). The current tenancy agreement has some special terms (e.g. the T can remove certain items of furniture but will have to replace them with like-for-like furniture at the end of the tenancy).

24-05-2019, 13:31 PM
      • Reply to Renewing A Tenancy
        Interlaken
        Lots can go wrong/change in 3 years. Never tie yourself up for tenant advantage. Go periodic, if not I'll bet you'll be back on here needing more advice on how to activate a possibly dodgy break clause.
        25-05-2019, 18:02 PM
      • Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
        Pergola
        I'm a landlord and would appreciate if you could advise whether I will be in compliance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.

I signed a tenancy agreement before 1st June for a tenancy beginning after that date and requested a deposit equal to 6 weeks of rent.

Based on 30(1)(b),...
        14-04-2019, 08:55 AM
      Working...
      X