Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting with CCJ's

Hi,

If me & my partner was to rent through a letting agency what'd be the chances of getting approved knowing I've had 2 CCJ's, my partners credit is perfect and could also provide a guarantor who's got a perfect credit rating?

Would me having a CCJ hinder the chances of approval significantly?

It would stop most people renting to you.
    If the ccj's were satisfied but still on your history and you had a reasonable explanation, it's more possible.

If you walk into the agent and tell them about them and you can reasonably explain them away, some landlords would accept you with a guarantor.
    You might find it easier to let your partner rent the property on their own and explain why to the agent.

When someone is credit checked for renting a property, what the landlord or agent gets back is not very detailed, often just a credit score and a recommendation (basically, rent, rent with a guarantor or no).
    Anyone with a ccj is probably simply going to get a no.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      It would stop most people renting to you.
      If the ccj's were satisfied but still on your history and you had a reasonable explanation, it's more possible.

If you walk into the agent and tell them about them and you can reasonably explain them away, some landlords would accept you with a guarantor.
      You might find it easier to let your partner rent the property on their own and explain why to the agent.

When someone is credit checked for renting a property, what the landlord or agent gets back is not very detailed, often just a credit score and a recommendation (basically, rent, rent with a guarantor or no).
      Anyone with a ccj is probably simply going to get a no.
      Thanks for your response, but would this not lower the chances of being accepted for some properties based on her sole income? as although she'd have the finances to cover the rent solely she wouldn't have the finances to cover household bills (surely this looks like a flag?)

As far as I'm aware from what I've read most landlords expect your annual to be 3x the annual rent? do landlords even see your monthly income and is the decision based on this also?

Comment

Yes it might affect the willingness of a landlord/agent to rent based on the income criteria.
        You'd need to sit down with the agent and see if they'll accept your income as part of the calculation even if you're not one of the tenants.
        Some people will and some won't.

A landlord is letting a property worth a lot of money to someone, and if they don't pay the rent, it can take months to evict them.
        So any evidence of previously unpaid bills is going to raise a lot of warning flags.

Most landlords/agents will want to see several months bank statements to show that you're earning what you say you are.
        If you overstate your income, or be optimistic, it'll be another red flag.

On the other hand, most landlords have had some experience of bad luck, so if the ccjs are explainable, honesty might be a plus.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

When the Government scraps the s21 no-fault eviction people with less than perfect track records will find it almost impossible to rent a property.

Comment

Originally posted by curtunknown View Post
            Hi,

If me & my partner was to rent through a letting agency what'd be the chances of getting approved knowing I've had 2 CCJ's, my partners credit is perfect and could also provide a guarantor who's got a perfect credit rating?

Would me having a CCJ hinder the chances of approval significantly?
            Before you waste the reference fee (which is normally quite expensive), you need to communicate with the landlord through the agent, and tell them everything about your financial situation. If you are lucky, you will probably get accepted with a larger deposit/higher rent.

Comment

I believe deposits are capped now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X