Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applicant checks for overseas applicants

Hi all,
    For the private landlords on here, what checks do you perform on applicants that are living overseas (i.e. outside UK) when they apply to rent your property?
    And who do you use?
    From what I've read on the credit checks I am questioning the worth of the check on overseas individuals, however I guess that depends on the country. Then reference checks seem to become a case of contacting the supplied person and asking them to confirm (I imagine that is something that a landlord can do).
    Overall, I'm wondering if it is worth the money spent?
    Many thanks,
    Brad

Originally posted by bradsalmon View Post
    Hi all,
    For the private landlords on here, what checks do you perform on applicants that are living overseas (i.e. outside UK) when they apply to rent your property?
    Can they pay 6 months rent up front for a 6 month tenancy? Works for me.

Comment

It depends.

For example, I recently took on a NZ exchange teacher. Traced her back to a kid through newspaper reports, exam results, university, Linkdin. Spoke to (and reassured) her and her parents on the phone, found their property address online. Received a bollocking from her professor reference for ever doubting her (sourced independently). Checked proof of contract, knew the school, spoke to the school, people who knew she was coming to the school etc. Worked out how to credit check in her own country (but didn't bother by then) and how to pursue a debt by reciprocal agreement.

I would be so disappointed in myself if this went wrong that I would travel the 4000 miles to NZ and knock on the door for payment, pursue all legal means in their home country and if necessary assert my personality on the professor who gave the reference.

But I'm sure it wouldn't come to that.

Comment

It depends. I recently took a Brazilian couple. Both had excellent jobs that they provided references for. They also had considerable savings evidenced by bank statements and the landlords I contacted in Sau Paulo and Florida gave me excellent references for them. Easy decision

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X