The End of Section 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    I wouldn't. It's ones who set up pop up brothels and cannabis growers I have a problem with.
    So why would you need a section 21 to get them out if they're running brothels and cannabis factories?

Rent arrears are already mandatory. How on earth can section 8 be actioned faster when they will require a court hearing?
    Wouldn't be any longer than a section 21.

Isn't that lovely for you.
    Lovely? Strange word to use.

Comment

Originally posted by michelle230 View Post
      So why would you need a section 21 to get them out if they're running brothels and cannabis factories?
      Proof, my dear.

Rent arrears are already mandatory. How on earth can section 8 be actioned faster when they will require a court hearing?
      Wouldn't be any longer than a section 21.
      A court hearing requires the same time as a rubber stamping exercise? Dream on.

Isn't that lovely for you.
      Lovely? Strange word to use.
      I'm making the point that not all tenants are professional couples.

Comment

Would break clauses be affected if this proposal was implemented? If there's a break clause that can be used after 6 months of a tenancy, and the landlord exercises that option but the tenant continues to remain in the property and pay rent, what recourse does the landlord have?

Comment

After this, it will be capital gains tax changes to pay for brexit.

Can't see a good reason to keep this up..? Risk Vs reward is shot.

Comment

Make owing any rent for more than 3 months anti-social behaviour, then rethink the revenge eviction legislation so that T pays the cost of all fees incurred due to a spurious claim.
            If these proposals are adopted, the main beneficiary will be HMRC from CGT, if LLs decide to divest.
            Without adequate housing the Govt is reliant on the PRS,
            HA's should conform to same Legislation as a PRS LL.

Comment

The Tories have now introduced two major pieces of anti-landlord legislation within a year of a General Election without including either in their manifesto.

Scrapping interest relief on finance payments and scrapping Section 21.

Landlords need to stop voting for the Tories as they are not trustworthy and no longer believe in small business or the free market.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandi View Post
                The Tories have now introduced two major pieces of anti-landlord legislation within a year of a General Election without including either in their manifesto.

Scrapping interest relief on finance payments and scrapping Section 21.

Landlords need to stop voting for the Tories as they are not trustworthy and no longer believe in small business or the free market.
                Never mind the revenge eviction legislation which was brought in by liberals in the House of Lords, who we can't vote out.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Proof, my dear.
                  Have you ever been faced with someone making false allegations against you? Would you be happy that they could just state the allegations and you would be punished for it?

Comment

I’ve only been a landlord for 3 years with a couple of small HMO’S and consider myself to be responsible, providing good quality housing and facilities and sorting any issue raised asap because a. It’s the right and fair thing to do and b. happy tenants stay therefore avoiding void periods.

Unfortunately I now have 2 bad tenants who are ruining one property by repeatedly leaving their mess around the communal areas, leaving the kitchen/shower rooms dirty etc. to the detriment of the good tenants who have now given notice to leave because of it.

Despite numerous polite requests to change their behaviour neither ‘bad’ tenant did so one was served a section 21 for which I hope to receive a possession order this week, the other both a section 8 and 21 as she stopped paying the rent.

I find it very concerning going forward that in the case of getting a bad tenant who single handedly brings down the living environment of fellow tenants forcing them to leave and damaging your property in doing so there will no recourse to remove them as there is nothing in section 8 which covers this providing they continue to pay their rent. I’m already thinking is it worth the risk of aggravation and stress in future and possibly selling up.

Oh the irony of all the political parties taking the moral high ground against us nasty greedy private landlords. There’s only a market because of decades of under investment in social housing by those very parties!

Comment

All of these problems are brought on by ROGUE PEOPLE. Rogue landlords and rogue tenants. Neither good landlords nor good tenants should be left in a legal position that they are at the mercy of a rogue person who can get away with legally legitimately abusing them.

The challenge is to find the right balance in law to protect good people from other rogues.

Comment

Originally posted by KeepTheFaith View Post

Have you ever been faced with someone making false allegations against you? Would you be happy that they could just state the allegations and you would be punished for it?
                        Already happens. Welcome to being a landlord.

Comment

What would make a real difference to the s8 process is to have possession orders by default and on a fixed timetable (rather like money judgments in undefended proceedings) where a mandatory ground can be made out. The court's role would be to check that the application was properly made, and the onus would be on the tenant to file defence (properly, in time, and as a condition of getting a hearing). The tenant would also have to pay into court the rent accruing up to the hearing date, and the costs of a hearing, or bugger off. The rules should also allow for the landlord to instruct either the CC bailiff or HCEO, without further formality.

Comment

Originally posted by KeepTheFaith View Post
                            All of these problems are brought on by ROGUE PEOPLE. Rogue landlords and rogue tenants. Neither good landlords nor good tenants should be left in a legal position that they are at the mercy of a rogue person who can get away with legally legitimately abusing them.

The challenge is to find the right balance in law to protect good people from other rogues.

I agree with this! I'm a tenant in London and i find the situation here is very bad for us. My previous landlord evicted me because when he asked me for a rent increase of 8% i agree but on the condition that it would start from a month time, when in fact he wanted it to start the following week and had the gut to ask me for two months backdated rent increase as he had forgotten to ask for that when the fixed term ended two months prior.
                            We were in excellent terms until that point and i had lived in that property for 7 years. I was never late on rent and kept it as if it was my own. He hadn't protected the deposit and took him 9 months to serve a valid notice, but i spent a year in hell fearing i would lose my house as well as being harassed by the LL and his agents. It was terrible and all because he felt offended i said no to a back dated rent increase. These kind of things should not be happening. Every one i know in London has dealt with 1 or more of this type of LL.

I welcome the no fault eviction, but i do agree there is a need to strengthen the S.8 process as i'm aware there are also rogue tenants. I believe that if this is the case, good landlords don't have to fear as they will have a way to evict bad tenants.

Comment

I've had to issue a s21 to one set of tenants, who weren't bad tenants. Yes they moaned about a few things here and there but they paid rent on time and that's the main thing I was concerned with.

The reason I issued the s21 was because the house developed rising damp (DPC failed) and around the same time, there was a massive water leak and the ceiling in the living room was precarious. The work needed was extensive and the tenants couldn't be in the house whilst the work was being carried out so I had no choice but to go and speak with them firstly about my options and then issue the s21. I wanted them to move back into their parents/friends/hotel for a month (hotel subsided by me) but they couldn't do it.

I was left with no option but to issue the s21, but gave them plenty of notice.

Luckily, at the same time this was happening, some tenants in another one of my houses were moving out, so I was able to offer the second property to this couple and they moved in there.

But this is exactly why the s21 is needed. I don't know what I would've done if I didn't have that option. The house wasn't in a good state and was about to be a building site with no power/water/heating. There's no way they could have stayed there and no way way the work could have been done - the ultimate "no fault" eviction.

Comment

Section 8 needs to be made workable and fit for purpose. I understand why good landlords can find themselves in a position where they have had to use s21 due to inadequacies of s8. But it leaves a gaping loophole for rogue landlords to use at a whim.

Lobby to make s8 fit for purpose then s21 would not be needed. Rogue tenants can still be dealt with and good tenants can with bad landlords can live in peace. All the good people win then no?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X