When can I get housing benefit paid direct

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can I get housing benefit paid direct

I have a tenant who is due 1st of every month in advance.He has not paid 1st March and when I phonedf hosuing benefit they confirmed they are paying.

i believe they pay direct if you are owed 8 weeks, so assuming he does not pay 1 April can I ask for them to pay me or is it only at the end of April. I know HB pay in arrears but do they require 8 weeks unpaid rent in arrears or in advance?

For my council as soon as the tenant is 1 month and 1 day in arrears i can request the rent is paid to me direct. (should be the same for them all)

But if you have to go down that route to get the rent i would seriously consider giving the tenant their notice.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
      For my council as soon as the tenant is 1 month and 1 day in arrears i can request the rent is paid to me direct. (should be the same for them all)

But if you have to go down that route to get the rent i would seriously consider giving the tenant their notice.
      Yes obviously in normal circumstances I would have served section 21 already and would serve section 8 now however this is an HMO where the council have said this room is too small to let. Hence once I evict I can't relet. I have planning permission to extend, but have other projects going on so want to push off till winter or early next year. Hence I can live with this tenant assuming the council will pay me.

Comment

I had heard that from April you cannot request that the rent be paid to the Landlord direct initially anyway, whereas before it was an option. I don't know if that applies if they are in arrears in the new system.

Comment

Yes, under the new rules L can apply to have HB paid direct to him/her if T falls two months behind in paying rent.

Comment

But the new rules only apply to new claims.

Comment

Originally posted by caroline7758 View Post
              But the new rules only apply to new claims.
              Sorry, didn't realise I was being ambiguous.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                scooter08
                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                12/04/2015
                21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
              • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                scooter08
                Thanks for the reply jp....
                21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
                jpkeates
                Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
                21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
                scooter08
                I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
                21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
                scooter08
                I pay the council tax, yes it is mortgaged. As far as I know he isn't pretending to live him and his family live in another house a few streets away....
                21-07-2017, 18:01 PM
              • HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
                bald555
                Long story short, someone I know (not close) needed money, I gave him 12 months reduced rent upfront to help him out and put a commercial lease on his HMo with right to sublet etc (my tenants).

Few months in and his money problems are worse and the bank (and others) pressuring him to sell...
                21-07-2017, 16:58 PM
              • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
                bald555
                and yes, there is a mortgage...
                21-07-2017, 17:44 PM
                jpkeates
                Harassment is way more than a breach of quiet enjoyment, there has to be a level of distress in the harassed person.

A retrospective claim for breach of quiet enjoyment is probably a non-starter - breach of quiet enjoyment is part of the kitchen sink people throw when they're claiming compensation...
                21-07-2017, 17:43 PM
                Wright76
                And although as jpkeates suggests you have a right to turn them away and force a court order, this does not mean they have breached your right to quiet enjoyment.

It means you are refusing to honour your AST and the landlord Is forced to apply to court to make you legally comply. Again,...
                21-07-2017, 17:35 PM
              • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
                bald555
                Many thanks for the reply. Yes, my company has leased the HMO in question under commercial lease but it's not registered at land registry as it's only a 12 month lease.

Tenants are friends so less of am issue as such but they'll be outside of their 6 months by the time of any would be...
                21-07-2017, 17:31 PM
              Working...
              X