I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !

I am a novice landlord and i took over the tenancy from the agent and they gave me the deposit . Tenets moved out and i deducted £160 from there £600 deposit for repairs . Then got a letter from a solicitor demanding 6x the deposit ! After looking in to it i now see i was in the wrong but from what i have read it is maximum of 3x the deposit ,they are say because they renewed the tenancy for a second year that it is two breaches so they can ask for 6x is this right ?
    Have offered them x1,5 of the deposit to try and stop it going to court but feel the solicitor is trying to get to court .
    Any help would bee great .

It won't be much comfort, but the solicitor is almost certainly does not want it to go to court, but rather to get as much out of you as they an without doing so. They are certainly not going to accept less than three times, and my guess is that they would go for four times, plus costs, out fo court.

Comment

Joining NLA/RLA for some LL training would have been cheaper.
      How did you renew their Tenancy? Details matter.

Comment

When i renewed it i just sent them a paper copy to sign ,there was a £40 increase in rent but i did not increases the deposit . thanks for helping out .

Comment

Hi
          I would try and settle out of court, make a offer and see what and negotiate.

Comment

Had the agent protected the deposit and given the tenant the required PI within 30 days?

If not then there are indeed 2 breaches, one when the agent didn't protect it correctly, and one when you renewed and didn't protect it correctly.
            The agent was contracted/employed by you and so you would be ultimately responsible for both.
            (You could later sue the agent for not doing the job properly).

Up to 3x penalty could be imposed for each breach.

Keep negotiating, it's cheaper than going to court.
            I'm guessing the tenant may settle at 3x, even if the soilictor advises them that they might get more.

If it does get to court the fact that you have already returned the deposit (less what sounds a reaonable deduction, can you show it was reasonable?) should go in your favour and I wouldn't expect the court to award the maximum possible penalty.

Comment

The OP did make an offer, but it was far too low. 1 times would be the likely penalty if the deposit was protected but either slightly late, or the paperwork wasn't done properly. 1.5 is rather close to that figure.

In this case there are two offences where the the deposit was never protected.

On the other hand, the solicitor will accept less than the courts would aware, as they don't want the trouble of actually going to court.

Comment

I think the first offence was that the deposit was unprotected by the agent on the handover, so effectively returned to the tenant and then paid to the OP.

Comment

It's not clear yet whether the deposit was or wasn't correctly protected by the agent at the start of the tenancy, the OP needs to clarify that.

Comment

The first tenancy was done by a agent and they the deposit .They gave a shocking service so at the end of it I took it on myself and the tenants gave me there deposit.
                    They where there for another 2 years so renewed it once more with my self,at which point i increased the rent but not the deposit.

So is 2 breaches?
                    Any idea what the cost would be and whats the judge likely to award the full x6 ?
                    I have offered them x1.5 all ready which they have turned down .
                    Could the judge just see it as a money making scheme and see them for what they relay are ?
                    If not what do you hinthincki should offer ?
                    Many thanks

Comment

I would up the offer to 2.5x on the basis that its not yet clear that a penalty is always payable for renewals of the same tenancy. However, you may well end up having to offer more. Dont allow it to go to court or the costs will become astronomical

Comment

Originally posted by abenson246 View Post
                        The first tenancy ...
                        Am I correct that the sequence was as follows?
                        1. Let through agent; agent protected deposit.
                        2. End of tenancy
                          1. you issued a new tenancy agreement.
                          2. Agent passed deposit to you.
                          3. You did not protect deposit.
                        3. Year later, you issued a new tenancy agreement; still did not protect deposit
                        4. No other tenancies created at any time, either fixed term or statutory periodic.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                          I think the first offence was that the deposit was unprotected by the agent on the handover, so effectively returned to the tenant and then paid to the OP.
                          For the purpose of what we are talking about, the agent and the landlord are one and the same. The landlord is not receiving the deposit a second time by the agent transferring a sum of money to the landlord equals to the amount of the deposit paid by the tenant.

Originally posted by abenson246 View Post
                          The first tenancy was done by a agent and they the deposit .
                          You still haven't answer the question whether the deposit was protected correctly and prescribed information given in time by the agent.

When was the renewal? Was that at the point you took over, including getting the deposit from the agent?
                          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I don't think x 6 is right, maximum x 3.

If you did not charge the tenant for additional deposit (on top of the £600 you received), then there can only be one tenancy involving the deposit regardless of whether you renewed the contract or not.

In any case, the first thing I would do now is to protect the deposit!!!

Comment

Two tenancies, so x 6 maximum. And it's too late to protect the deposit as the tenancy has come to an end. Read the original post.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                                milleniumaire
                                Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
                                16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
                              • Reply to How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                                jpucng62
                                You do need to tell them you are aware they are keeping pets against the terms of their lease as otherwise you have knowingly accepted them & the damage becomes wear & tear. As the damage is done you have 2 options in my view - give them notice to leave & then charge them for the damage...
                                17-07-2019, 07:18 AM
                              • New carpets
                                Evans86
                                hello I have been in my rented property for 10 years now and the carpets are freying (I’ve resorted to gaffa tape) they are coming away at every door tred and even at the stairs. I have contacted the letting agent several times and they don’t even get back to me! Am I responsible for getting new...
                                16-07-2019, 17:50 PM
                              • Reply to New carpets
                                jpucng62
                                I would suggest that they are the LL's & 10 years would be considered an average life for a carpet with normal wear & tear. It is difficult to replace carpets with a tenant in situ &, of course, expensive, but if you rent has increased over the 10 years, as a LL I would expect to replace...
                                17-07-2019, 07:05 AM
                              • One of the two tenants didn't sign the initial AST
                                freddycd15
                                Hi all,

I have a couple in my flat who moved in back in April this year. The guy signed all the documents and the girl did not. I would like her to sign the AST. Should I:

1) Send out a new copy of the AST for both of them to sign
                                2) Post the original AST for her to sign...
                                09-07-2019, 00:26 AM
                              • Reply to One of the two tenants didn't sign the initial AST
                                tatemono
                                yeah that just doesn't sound right. Did she sign any other paperwork e.g. to say she'd received the PI or agreed the inventory?

If not and you put her on the tenancy now, you're opening a can of worms if you end up having to evict them.

Sounds like you might want to get the...
                                17-07-2019, 06:00 AM
                              • Visit to home with no notice - advice please
                                Shelbyshep
                                I have come home today and found a gas safety certificate on my hob. I have had no email or letter saying this would happen from the letting agent, nor a call from the plumbing company to book an appointment or check if they can use the keys.
                                They have just been in the property without any information...
                                10-07-2019, 17:44 PM
                              • Reply to Visit to home with no notice - advice please
                                tatemono
                                ... and reminding them that you have a right to change the locks and follow a formal complaints procedure to their redress scheme if it happens again.

Do keep the original locks to reinstate at the end of the property though.

Actually, you might want to install an internal...
                                17-07-2019, 05:55 AM
                              • Reply to New carpets
                                AndrewDod
                                No one is responsible. It is wear and tear. Propose to the landlord that she increase your rent and in exchange do some re-carpeting....
                                17-07-2019, 01:01 AM
                              • Council tax debacle.
                                buttons
                                I had a tenant do a runner on the 10th May, I only learned of this on 11th June when no housing benefit was paid to me as it was direct payment.
                                I received the keys from the tenants daughter on the 15th June, she signed a letter stating tenancy was surrendered and keys returned.
                                I wrote...
                                16-07-2019, 12:05 PM
                              Working...
                              X