Possession hearing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I am not experienced enough to offer the advice i know you need, but is suspect (as you have seen) that the police will be of no use in this instance, they will still see it as a civil dispute right up and until the whole interior is destroyed. I am so sorry this is happening to you and i trust a member will be along with some practical ways to stop further damage. All the best.


      I am very sorry to hear that.

      You may be able to call the police for malicous damage.

      Property insurance for landlords, normally do not cover malicous damage by default, only accidental, however it is usually available as part of additional premium. Check your coverage small prints.
      If not, I am not sure if it is too late to take that to cover some of the potential further damage.


        Not sure why council would assist you if they have knocked a wall down? Check your insurance policy to see what you are covered for


          Note there is usually 2 seperate sections for malicous damage.

          1 is by 3rd Party (Burglars, vandals)
          2 is by lawful occupants (Tenants and invited guests)

          Usually number 1 is covered by default, number 2 requires additional premium.


            There have been less severe cases where a criminal damage prosecution has succeeded.

            The main problem here is that a criminal conviction will not pay for the repair, you will still be up against the likelihood that they have no money with which to pay compensation.

            Nonetheless, I think it is essential you bring the police in, quickly.


              If roof may cave in then if council EH was to get involved then they may put emergency prohibition order on the property then tenants would have to move out. You then have the prohibition order to deal with but tenants can't cause further damage. Well not inside without breaking in anyhow.



                Also emergency right of access to place support beam where wall used to be to stop said roof collapsing!


                  So basically I’m doomed-

                  If the police came and had a word then they will think twice about causing damage.

                  Only option is report it to immigration as there could be illegal people living there.

                  Report to council and say they knocked walls downs

                  keep reporting to police in the hope they will pay them a visit

                  if the above authorities pay are visit surely that could scare them


                    Ash-uk You are running a private rental Business. By all means seek advice then grow a pair..
                    The Law can only assist you so far.


                      I would push the police and escalate complaint using police complaints procedure if they don't do anything. Its got to be taken seriously due to the risk with the roof I think.

                      I would go round with builder to assess the roof situation and get support beam put in if needed asap. Police can be asked to attend to prevent breach of the peace if the tenants kick off. Let police know what you are planning to do and ask their advice.

                      You could also try council anti social behaviour team.

                      Else you may be able to apply for an injunction to try stop further damage. The ASB team can apply for an injunction too.

                      A solicitor may know the best thing to do, assuming you can find a good specialist housing and harassment Solicitors.

                      A lot of phoning around and aggravation but I think you have to be proactive to get anywhere with these kinds of things.


                        If a load bearing wall has been knocked down, it would be Building Control, not Environmental Health. If it is a dangerous structure they can act rather fast.

                        My feeling is not only will this be prosecuted, but, assuming that the damage is more than £5,000, it will be prosecuted in the Crown Court.


                          Even if the tenant end up in jail, the landlord is unlikely to get any of the damages paid for.


                            Update guys, managed to persuade the judge to give 7 day notice to quit rather than 14.

                            They texted me this morning to say they will bring rent this week end. I have this million times

                            Does any one know how long bailiffs take


                              Well done. I trust you won't fall for any promises about the rent. (It's just a ruse to put off the bailiff.)


                                Oh and a cjj has been issued against there name for 10k rent.

                                So anorher £250 for bailiffs And probably 10k repairs to damage should close this nightmare

                                once I gain possession I will go after them my self lol


                                Latest Activity