Finding a tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a tenant

Hi, just wondering if most people use an estate agent to find a tenant? It's just our usual agent has more than doubled their fees. Our house is in an area of high demand, not a lot of rental properties on the market and has lots of passing traffic and people walking. Thinking about marketing ourselves but unsure as to the background checks we are able to carry out. Can we do the same as the agents and if so can anyone advise how to do it. Given we have other properties finding tenants could become very expensive! Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
    Julie.

I think youll find that most people on this forum do NOT use an agent for tenant find. Its the most important job for a landlord and not one to give away lightly, certainly to someone who then has no further involvement.

There are plenty of online agencies such as Openrent and Upad that will place the advert on the major portals for you and even carry out tenabt referencing if you wish

Comment

I use online letting agents and often they will offer a referencing service for a fee. If you wanted though you could conduct credit references on the RLA, their tenant application form has a part where the tenant confirms this is okay. Employer and previous landlord checks would just be yourself calling them to discuss the tenant. Have a read online about reference questions as there are questions you can't ask. Some credit check companys will allow the tenant to download their file and you could request that they send this to you.

I hope this helps

Comment

Upad has served me well in the past. Checks can be done by the same agencies that the estate agents use. Just do a google search there a loads out there. Plenty of online contracts available, make sure that you comply with all the legislation with deposit protection, right to rent checks, how to rent checks, epc etc. All of these were your responsibility ultimately even when going through an agent I believe.

Comment

I have used an agent in the past but i know in the future i will be using one of the routes mentioned above, i can see the fees going through the roof with the ban on fees, so i suspect their business model is somewhat damaged.

Comment

And don't forget to increase your rent accordingly.

The Government guidance considers £15/hr to be the median wage of an employee in the lettings industry.
            So, advertising, dealing with enquiries, filtering, arranging viewings, actual viewings, tenant selection, office costs etc.
            A day's work?
            £140 rent increase over the duration of the tenancy?

Personally, I'll be charging a similar hourly rate as the patronising twit that wrote the Government guidance drivel charges.
            -As the market allows, obviously.

Comment

Hi, thank you all for your very helpful advice, it is fantastic help to us and will definitely be taking it all onboard! Kind regards, Julie.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                srclinton
                I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
                21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
              • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                srclinton
                All noted. Thank you all....
                22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
              • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                kaidranzer
                Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
                11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
              • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                Sydney
                Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
                22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
              • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                Orangesandlemons
                Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
                22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
              • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                AndrewDod
                - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
                22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
              • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                Joe.K
                Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
                The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
                20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
              • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                Joe.K
                Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
                22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
              • Agent ignoring periodic option
                oakhill
                My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
                I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
                I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
                21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
              • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
                doobrey
                Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
                22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
              Working...
              X