Finding a tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a tenant

Hi, just wondering if most people use an estate agent to find a tenant? It's just our usual agent has more than doubled their fees. Our house is in an area of high demand, not a lot of rental properties on the market and has lots of passing traffic and people walking. Thinking about marketing ourselves but unsure as to the background checks we are able to carry out. Can we do the same as the agents and if so can anyone advise how to do it. Given we have other properties finding tenants could become very expensive! Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
    Julie.

I think youll find that most people on this forum do NOT use an agent for tenant find. Its the most important job for a landlord and not one to give away lightly, certainly to someone who then has no further involvement.

There are plenty of online agencies such as Openrent and Upad that will place the advert on the major portals for you and even carry out tenabt referencing if you wish

Comment

I use online letting agents and often they will offer a referencing service for a fee. If you wanted though you could conduct credit references on the RLA, their tenant application form has a part where the tenant confirms this is okay. Employer and previous landlord checks would just be yourself calling them to discuss the tenant. Have a read online about reference questions as there are questions you can't ask. Some credit check companys will allow the tenant to download their file and you could request that they send this to you.

I hope this helps

Comment

Upad has served me well in the past. Checks can be done by the same agencies that the estate agents use. Just do a google search there a loads out there. Plenty of online contracts available, make sure that you comply with all the legislation with deposit protection, right to rent checks, how to rent checks, epc etc. All of these were your responsibility ultimately even when going through an agent I believe.

Comment

I have used an agent in the past but i know in the future i will be using one of the routes mentioned above, i can see the fees going through the roof with the ban on fees, so i suspect their business model is somewhat damaged.

Comment

And don't forget to increase your rent accordingly.

The Government guidance considers £15/hr to be the median wage of an employee in the lettings industry.
            So, advertising, dealing with enquiries, filtering, arranging viewings, actual viewings, tenant selection, office costs etc.
            A day's work?
            £140 rent increase over the duration of the tenancy?

Personally, I'll be charging a similar hourly rate as the patronising twit that wrote the Government guidance drivel charges.
            -As the market allows, obviously.

Comment

Hi, thank you all for your very helpful advice, it is fantastic help to us and will definitely be taking it all onboard! Kind regards, Julie.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant referencing
                Sam87
                Afternoon,

I'm just wondering if letting agents can with hold tenant references if I try and obtain a reference about a potential tenant myself aswell as getting a reference company to so the Same? I currently pay someone to do the referencing however for the 'previous landlord/agent' reference...
                16-07-2019, 12:34 PM
              • Reply to Tenant referencing
                leaseholder64
                You can probably ask if have the prospective tenant's permission, and are prepared to pay, but they don't have to answer. Unreasonable demands and headaches are in the eyes and head of the beholder. They could just as easily be an indication that the previous agent was a rogue providing services...
                16-07-2019, 12:46 PM
              • Council tax debacle.
                buttons
                I had a tenant do a runner on the 10th May, I only learned of this on 11th June when no housing benefit was paid to me as it was direct payment.
                I received the keys from the tenants daughter on the 15th June, she signed a letter stating tenancy was surrendered and keys returned.
                I wrote...
                16-07-2019, 12:05 PM
              • Reply to Council tax debacle.
                KTC
                You answered my first question, but not the 2nd (or 3rd). That information is required to give you a correct response.
                16-07-2019, 12:42 PM
                buttons
                Initial term was 6 months, it then went periodic.
                16-07-2019, 12:37 PM
              • Tenant withdrawing notice
                bagus
                I accepted tenants' notice to quit their SPT mid period. Their leaving date is really badly timed for me (2 weeks into summer hols, preventing me taking the kids abroad).

The notice wasn't valid, since it didn't end on the first or last day of the monthly SPT, but I did accept it. Now,...
                16-07-2019, 08:25 AM
              • Reply to Tenant withdrawing notice
                bagus
                Thanks for the advice. Yes, I suppose it's best to bite my lip and let them walk all over me!
                16-07-2019, 12:26 PM
              • How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                milleniumaire
                Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
                16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
              • Reply to How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                jpkeates
                I have kept rabbits and they are probably one of the more property damaging pets you can keep.
                The urine is a particularly nasty ammonia smell.

The tenants will claim that they live outside and are only allowed in occasionally, but indoor rabbits are indoor rabbits.
                I'd suggest...
                16-07-2019, 12:13 PM
                KTC
                Were the tenancy within a fixed term, contractual periodic, or statutory periodic? If periodic, what's the period of the tenancy (e.g. monthly, quarterly, half-yearly)? If contractual periodic, was there an initial fixed term and if so what was its length?
                16-07-2019, 12:10 PM
              Working...
              X