Can a landlord replace all windows without tenant's consent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a landlord replace all windows without tenant's consent?

Can a landlord perform windows renovation in the house which is currently occupied by tenants? Only one window has to be replaced because it can't be opened and this is safety issues. The landlord wants to replace all the windows, even these which work fine, which is not necessary. This of course will reduce the tenant's standard of living for couple of days.

If one window is being replaced it makes sense sometimes to do the rest at the same time.
    And a couple of days isn't the end of the world.

If you want the technical position, the landlord has a duty to keep the windows in a good state of repair, so they probably have to fix the window.
    But not necessarily, I don't see how a window that doesn't open is a safety issue, unless its a fire escape route.
    And the landlord has a right to enter to carry out repairs.

You don't have to allow the landlord or their representatives into your property.
    So your rights are in conflict.

But that's not worth debating when it's a couple of days inconvenience to replace all of the windows.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'm sure that all windows with opening have to be able to be opened for safety reasons and upstairs windows now are not allowed to just have small openings at the top but large pane openings as well.

Comment

Who'd want to stop their LL doing improvements? A couple of days inconvenience and it's all done!

Not really 'reducing the standard of living' that's overegging the pudding!

Comment

What planet do these tenant come from?

Comment

My LL on being advised I have a few issues with windows offered to replace all with upvc double glazing. Offer gratefully received!! I will have to take time out to be there for the works, but it will benefit me with lower heating bills. OP is not looking at the bigger picture.

To answer the original question though, LL has an obligation to maintain the property so can do structural works without consent if it is necessary.

Comment

I live on Earth and this is how I see this.

In order to replace all the (double glazing) windows during my occupation (mine, my child's, my partner's):

- I would need to spent time shifting my furniture from one room to another in order to provide access to the window (To the window which works fine, is double galzing, opens without any problems and just works!). I have desk with this room with copule of computers and other hardware all connected with cables in that room. I have my music studio in there if you care... Probably it would take more than few hours to move everything out from the room. Ps. The desk has bo be disassembled in order to be taken out because the room is small to just lift and shift it. And after all move everything back, assemle and connect ...
              - I would need to spent my free time supervising all the maintenance works (2-3 days) I have a job and family and actually don't have to much free time. This is super cost to me to sacrifice this free time.
              - I would need to accept cooler temperature (same my wife and toddler). It's early spring! Why would I need to risk my child being sick?!
              - Did I mention about cleaning all the dust after all?
              - How about discomfort of breathing the air rich in smell of paintings and other chemicals? We on Earth do breath!
              - I would need to ...

...Holly mum, just found that this is the Landlord ZONE not Tenant Zone. Sorry if I touched anyones feelings I guess this won't be supported to much if at all ...
              Anyway, these were my/tenant's opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by kerricson View Post
                In order to replace all the windows during my occupation:

- I would need to spent time shifting my furniture from one room to another in order to provide access to the window
                So would an owner occupier, and the owner occupier would probably use the same reasoning as you landlord in deciding whether to replace one or all, i.e. the main reason for not doing all at once would be cost (cash flow).

On the other hand, the information given isn't completely correct. You can refuse permission to enter and refuse permission to move your things. That is likely to put you in breach of contract and result in a section 21 at the earliest opportunity, but it is a right that you have.

Comment

I have found an interesting discussion about similar problem. To be fair, it's a little biased by tenants and sometimes to rude :/ However it's good to have such reference as well.

The gist is that repairings are regulated by the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, sectiont 11, which says that non-essencial maintenance should be done between tenants.

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/fo...im-still-here/

ps. And the legislation, section 11:
                  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/11

Comment

The gist is that repairings are regulated by the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, sectiont 11, which says that non-essencial maintenance should be done between tenants.
                    I don't think it does. I think the best option is that landlord gives you a section 21 notice, and does all the windows once you have moved out.

Comment

I can't find anything in that section that says that. The closest it seems to get is to say there is no requirement to do non-essential repairs at all. "Nothing shall be construed" means that the law doesn't imply a requirement to d the work. It says nothing that suggests it must not be done.

The bit about not being allowed access, although possibly more to do with leasehold flats, would seem to say that, if tenant refuses access, the landlord is let off the hook, even for essential repairs.

The section is basically about ensuring that tenants receive repairs whilst not being too onerous on the landlords, and not requiring them to do anything that is not reasonably possible.

Comment

...Holly mum, just found that this is the Landlord ZONE not Tenant Zone. Sorry if I touched anyones feelings I guess this won't be supported to much if at all ...
                        Anyway, these were my/tenant's opinions.
                        Although some contributors strongly favour landlords, others favour tenants (or freeholders/ leasees).
                        Generally though, I've found the opinions in most threads to be 'biased' towards whoever is being most reasonable and/or has the law on their side in any given situation.

Comment

You could make your agreement conditional on the furniture being carefully moved and protected by the contractors, the landlord appointing a supervisor and after the work paying for a cleaner for a few hours.

Comment

Personally, I'd be jumping for joy in this situation. I've a problem with windows as well but different circumstances. Can you not get a friend or family member to help you? I'm sure the repairers would also lend a hand so that they can get on with the job. I appreciate that it causes inconvenience, but I really do think you have to look at this in a different way and be thankful you have a landlord doing what they are doing.
                            Someone please delete my account

Comment

I have found an interesting discussion about similar problem.

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/fo...im-still-here/

Some surprisingly good advice too;
                              As he is a decent landlord, be a decent tenant and let him do it now. Don't listen to these dicks on here.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X