Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mould problem and work to be carried out

Morning All,

I live in a rented property and within the last six months we've had mould develop in our bathroom and in my opinion is really quite bad. Ive pestered and pestered to get our landlord to sort it out and he's finally agreed to re-tile the whole bathroom (which is definitely a quick fix).
    The work will take a week, and in that time we've been told we wont have use of a shower as the steam from said shower will affect the grouting when they re-tile. Who's obligation is it to make sure we have access to a working shower?
    I have explained I can't live without a shower for a week, and i dont have family etc locally who would be able to help with providing me a shower. The estate agent has said to get a quote for a hotel for them to speak to said landlord, but has also said 'He may well then instruct us to serve notice to end our contract so the work can get done'.
    I need to know where i stand on not having a shower for a week, and who needs to sort it out.
    Thanks,

If you are having your single bathroom re-tiled you're going to have to live without a shower for a week.
    That's not anyone's fault, just a consequence of having work done.

You're in no worse position than someone who owns their own property in the same situation.

You can shower at local sports facilities.

It's an inconvenience, but it's not the end of the world.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Mutual26 View Post
      I need to know where i stand on not having a shower for a week, and who needs to sort it out.
      Your landlord does appear to be sorting it out for you. Do you have a bath? Are you a member of a gym? Does your workplace have a shower?

Comment

Mouldy bathrooms are the result of a lack of ventilation. If there are adequate provisions for ventilation, the problem is yours, for not using them. If there are not, re-tiling is not going to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Welshie View Post

Your landlord does appear to be sorting it out for you. Do you have a bath? Are you a member of a gym? Does your workplace have a shower?
          The bath is our shower, not a member of a gym and neither does my workplace have a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            Mouldy bathrooms are the result of a lack of ventilation. If there are adequate provisions for ventilation, the problem is yours, for not using them. If there are not, re-tiling is not going to solve the problem.
            There is no working extract in our bathroom, so i would say there are no adequate provisions.

Comment

The landlord needs to fix the extractor.

Comment

Why have you let the mould in the bathroom get so bad it needs a total re-tile? At the first sign of black mould if you had cleaned it off or used HG Anti Mould spray you would not be in this situation. No extractor - then open a window!
                Landlor must be barking for thinking a re-tile will prevent this same scenario happening again.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Leaving aside the actual works needed. (And the strange statement about steam affecting the grout for a week).

We had a similar situation a few years ago when our bathroom floor joists needed replacing which took 2 weeks.

Just like a homeowner you have to expect some disruption when major works are being carried out, and make alternative arrangements.

...I can't live without a shower for a week...
                  Why not? Showers are a fairly recent innovation, and people managed without them for thousands of years.
                  Most Georgian/Victorian houses weren't even built with a bathroom.

Got any local pubs that let rooms, B&Bs, friends, neighbours?
                  I arranged with my local pub to use their shower while the work was going on.
                  (My sharer had access to showers at work).
                  There was no charge, people are often helpful if you ask for help.
                  If that hadn't been available then we'd have managed with 'sponge baths' at the kitchen sink, it's only a week or two.

I assume there is no 'steam' problem with using the WC?
                  But if so then:
                  Toilets at work, public convienencies, local pubs.
                  Covered bucket, chamber pot at night?
                  Remember indoor WCs are also a recent innovation and people used to manage without them.

Yes it's inconvienent, it always is when works are being done.
                  But it's not the end of the world, just think like you are back in the 1920's for a week.

Comment

You have a bath tub (you do not need a shower as well for routine ablutions).
                    If you use the bath and do not wet the walls, the shower restriction should not apply.

Comment

What difference do you think new tiles will make?
                      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

https://www.lewes-eastbourne.gov.uk/...l/0/255663.pdf

this may help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                          by Hudson01
                          But we don't, as said in another post, we are a business and as such we pick and choose whom we feel will be best suited to our properties and will cause the least issues. The real culprits in all of this are the (and previous) governments, who, over many decades, have failed to build enough social...
                          19-05-2022, 18:41 PM
                        • Single parent renting
                          by Dct
                          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                        • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                          by doobrey
                          My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
                          19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                        • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                          by HMOmike
                          I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
                          19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
                        • Reply to Single parent renting
                          by Dct
                          She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
                          19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                          by KTC
                          It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
                          19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
                          by HMOmike
                          Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
                          19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                        • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                          by jpkeates
                          The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
                          19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
                        • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                          by abimsalabim
                          I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                          18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                          by jpkeates
                          If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
                          That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
                          19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                        Working...
                        X