Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mould problem and work to be carried out

Morning All,

I live in a rented property and within the last six months we've had mould develop in our bathroom and in my opinion is really quite bad. Ive pestered and pestered to get our landlord to sort it out and he's finally agreed to re-tile the whole bathroom (which is definitely a quick fix).
    The work will take a week, and in that time we've been told we wont have use of a shower as the steam from said shower will affect the grouting when they re-tile. Who's obligation is it to make sure we have access to a working shower?
    I have explained I can't live without a shower for a week, and i dont have family etc locally who would be able to help with providing me a shower. The estate agent has said to get a quote for a hotel for them to speak to said landlord, but has also said 'He may well then instruct us to serve notice to end our contract so the work can get done'.
    I need to know where i stand on not having a shower for a week, and who needs to sort it out.
    Thanks,

If you are having your single bathroom re-tiled you're going to have to live without a shower for a week.
    That's not anyone's fault, just a consequence of having work done.

You're in no worse position than someone who owns their own property in the same situation.

You can shower at local sports facilities.

It's an inconvenience, but it's not the end of the world.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Mutual26 View Post
      I need to know where i stand on not having a shower for a week, and who needs to sort it out.
      Your landlord does appear to be sorting it out for you. Do you have a bath? Are you a member of a gym? Does your workplace have a shower?

Comment

Mouldy bathrooms are the result of a lack of ventilation. If there are adequate provisions for ventilation, the problem is yours, for not using them. If there are not, re-tiling is not going to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Welshie View Post

Your landlord does appear to be sorting it out for you. Do you have a bath? Are you a member of a gym? Does your workplace have a shower?
          The bath is our shower, not a member of a gym and neither does my workplace have a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            Mouldy bathrooms are the result of a lack of ventilation. If there are adequate provisions for ventilation, the problem is yours, for not using them. If there are not, re-tiling is not going to solve the problem.
            There is no working extract in our bathroom, so i would say there are no adequate provisions.

Comment

The landlord needs to fix the extractor.

Comment

Why have you let the mould in the bathroom get so bad it needs a total re-tile? At the first sign of black mould if you had cleaned it off or used HG Anti Mould spray you would not be in this situation. No extractor - then open a window!
                Landlor must be barking for thinking a re-tile will prevent this same scenario happening again.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Leaving aside the actual works needed. (And the strange statement about steam affecting the grout for a week).

We had a similar situation a few years ago when our bathroom floor joists needed replacing which took 2 weeks.

Just like a homeowner you have to expect some disruption when major works are being carried out, and make alternative arrangements.

...I can't live without a shower for a week...
                  Why not? Showers are a fairly recent innovation, and people managed without them for thousands of years.
                  Most Georgian/Victorian houses weren't even built with a bathroom.

Got any local pubs that let rooms, B&Bs, friends, neighbours?
                  I arranged with my local pub to use their shower while the work was going on.
                  (My sharer had access to showers at work).
                  There was no charge, people are often helpful if you ask for help.
                  If that hadn't been available then we'd have managed with 'sponge baths' at the kitchen sink, it's only a week or two.

I assume there is no 'steam' problem with using the WC?
                  But if so then:
                  Toilets at work, public convienencies, local pubs.
                  Covered bucket, chamber pot at night?
                  Remember indoor WCs are also a recent innovation and people used to manage without them.

Yes it's inconvienent, it always is when works are being done.
                  But it's not the end of the world, just think like you are back in the 1920's for a week.

Comment

You have a bath tub (you do not need a shower as well for routine ablutions).
                    If you use the bath and do not wet the walls, the shower restriction should not apply.

Comment

What difference do you think new tiles will make?
                      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

https://www.lewes-eastbourne.gov.uk/...l/0/255663.pdf

this may help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X