tenant will defend S21 and try for more time and use LL failure to repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Thanks, I was wrong, helpful clarification.
    Believe me, I had to look it up!!
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The problems with just leaving it in the problem before the tenancy starts are many fold.
      • The tenancy haven't started yet, so any clauses relating service of notices and documents wouldn't apply.
      • The property would also not yet be the prospective tenant's address, so any argument around having left it at the person's address wouldn't carry.
      • The requirement is to give it to the tenant "before that tenant occupies those premises". By the time they come across the GSC when they moved in, it's too late.
      • The regulations specifically allows for the certificate to be displayed prominently in certain circumstances, which can imply that a copy of it just being in the property is not sufficient in the other (normal) circumstances.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I'd be interested in any evidence that a gas safety certificate left in a property when a tenancy begins has ever been found not to have been "given" to that tenant "before they moved into the premises".

I appreciate that there's always a first time...
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The point is when does a tenancy begin and that the GSC has to given to the tenant BEFORE the tenancy begins. It may be an academic argument before there is a court ruling but it might be enough to create doubt.

Comment

It's not before the tenancy begins, it's "before that tenant occupies those premises". For short term private residential, that's often the same, but it doesn't have to be.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Tenants are now saying no to letting me fill some minor holes that they say mice are still entering through. Having filled holes around the main entry points myself at their request previously they're now saying leave the materials and they'll do it. At their request I am having to get a pest control expert in to look at the property.. I believe this is all to aid to a possible frivolous claim they may be getting ready to file which is for a financial aim. Can I say no to them making the repair and also say no to a pest control person if they're not allowing me to be present at the same time?

Comment

You need to put them on the defensive by proposing a reasonable time for the survey at which you can attend.

Comment

I've already got confirmation that they can attend from the tenants but not me.

Comment

You shouldn't have let them negotiate directly with the tenants. You should have agreed a reasonable time with them, and then presented that t the tenants.

Comment

Serve Ts with min 24 hr Notice of Inspection and see if Ts will grant you access, or provide Contractors with a video to record all salient points of ingress and remedial work carried out.
                      It is LLs resp to secure likely ingress points and T to eradicate any infestation.

Comment

I did negotiate the time with the tenant and so fingers crossed I'll be allowed in also. yes I've tried to secure all ingress points but they keep saying there's more of them but I don't agree that they're still getting in. I think it's just a ploy to keep the issue of repair outstanding. the contractors will provide a final decision as to if and where the ingress points are.

Comment

Access was not given to me so contractor will attend without me.

Comment

Make sure that your record the refusal. If only verbal, minute the conversation and email or snail mail it to the tenant.

I suspect the courts are used to tenants denying access when trying to frustrate an eviction repair grounds, and will not treat tenants who do so sympathetically.

Comment

Personally, if the tenant refuses entry because you're there along with the contractor, I would tell the contractor to leave. They can either let you both in, or none.

Comment

Further advice please- n5b filed to court by eviction company. Q2, the date tenants signed the agreement was before I signed it. I signed on day the tenancy began the n5b has the date of when the tenant signed it. Also Q11 ticked No (correct) then proceeded to fill out the answers as if they’d ticked Yes. Invalid?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                                  milleniumaire
                                  Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
                                  16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
                                • Reply to How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                                  jpucng62
                                  You do need to tell them you are aware they are keeping pets against the terms of their lease as otherwise you have knowingly accepted them & the damage becomes wear & tear. As the damage is done you have 2 options in my view - give them notice to leave & then charge them for the damage...
                                  17-07-2019, 07:18 AM
                                • New carpets
                                  Evans86
                                  hello I have been in my rented property for 10 years now and the carpets are freying (I’ve resorted to gaffa tape) they are coming away at every door tred and even at the stairs. I have contacted the letting agent several times and they don’t even get back to me! Am I responsible for getting new...
                                  16-07-2019, 17:50 PM
                                • Reply to New carpets
                                  jpucng62
                                  I would suggest that they are the LL's & 10 years would be considered an average life for a carpet with normal wear & tear. It is difficult to replace carpets with a tenant in situ &, of course, expensive, but if you rent has increased over the 10 years, as a LL I would expect to replace...
                                  17-07-2019, 07:05 AM
                                • One of the two tenants didn't sign the initial AST
                                  freddycd15
                                  Hi all,

I have a couple in my flat who moved in back in April this year. The guy signed all the documents and the girl did not. I would like her to sign the AST. Should I:

1) Send out a new copy of the AST for both of them to sign
                                  2) Post the original AST for her to sign...
                                  09-07-2019, 00:26 AM
                                • Reply to One of the two tenants didn't sign the initial AST
                                  tatemono
                                  yeah that just doesn't sound right. Did she sign any other paperwork e.g. to say she'd received the PI or agreed the inventory?

If not and you put her on the tenancy now, you're opening a can of worms if you end up having to evict them.

Sounds like you might want to get the...
                                  17-07-2019, 06:00 AM
                                • Visit to home with no notice - advice please
                                  Shelbyshep
                                  I have come home today and found a gas safety certificate on my hob. I have had no email or letter saying this would happen from the letting agent, nor a call from the plumbing company to book an appointment or check if they can use the keys.
                                  They have just been in the property without any information...
                                  10-07-2019, 17:44 PM
                                • Reply to Visit to home with no notice - advice please
                                  tatemono
                                  ... and reminding them that you have a right to change the locks and follow a formal complaints procedure to their redress scheme if it happens again.

Do keep the original locks to reinstate at the end of the property though.

Actually, you might want to install an internal...
                                  17-07-2019, 05:55 AM
                                • Reply to New carpets
                                  AndrewDod
                                  No one is responsible. It is wear and tear. Propose to the landlord that she increase your rent and in exchange do some re-carpeting....
                                  17-07-2019, 01:01 AM
                                • Council tax debacle.
                                  buttons
                                  I had a tenant do a runner on the 10th May, I only learned of this on 11th June when no housing benefit was paid to me as it was direct payment.
                                  I received the keys from the tenants daughter on the 15th June, she signed a letter stating tenancy was surrendered and keys returned.
                                  I wrote...
                                  16-07-2019, 12:05 PM
                                Working...
                                X