Gas safety cert question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gas safety cert question

    My tenant took occupation of my house on 6 April 2018 for a period of one year fixed (AST). The gas certificate was completed the previous day, ie 5 April and so expires on 4 April 2019. As soon as the tenant vacates we want to gut the house, refurbish and move in ourselves.

    I served the Section 21 requesting the tenant vacate on or after 5 April 2019, so I don't need to renew the gas certificate. However, the tenant is now hinting that she has no where to go and she will wait for the bailiffs to turf her out if need be. So my question is, if my tenant remains in the house after 5 April "illegally", I will then apply to the Court for an eviction order, do I still have to get the boiler checked, etc, as it will be ripped out as soon as the tenant leaves?? Thanks

    Yes, you need a gas safety certificate.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      The section 21 does not end tenancy nor compel tenant to leave. Nothing illegal, of course.

      Typical eviction timescales through courts 7 to 8 months.

      You need GSC . Of course.

      Don't make firm plans for refurb or moving back in.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        You won't be able to apply for a possession order without the gas certificate. Next time, only do six month tenancies.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


          Originally posted by LANDLADY43 View Post
          I served the Section 21 requesting the tenant vacate on or after 5 April 2019,
          If that is what it said, then it is probably not valid.

          do I still have to get the boiler checked, etc
          As above, "yes", otherwise you will be operating illegally..
          And you should get GSC done asap so that it does not lapse if work is required (but you seem to have left it a bit late to arrange).

          Gas Safe advised me that the new certificate must be issued on or before the anniversary of the earliest check for which the anniversary is carried forward, so you have until 5 April inclusive to get the GSC.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Advice Needed
            by Hudson01
            I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
            16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
          • Advice Needed
            by Confused2022

            I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

            The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
            15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
          • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
            by Hudson01
            I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
            16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
          • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
            by Laurasplog
            We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

            My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

            16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
          • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
            by theartfullodger
            What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

            Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

            I humbly note...
            16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
          • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
            by Laurasplog
            The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
            16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
          • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
            by Laurasplog
            The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

            I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
            16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
          • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
            by theartfullodger
            In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

            IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

            What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
            16-05-2022, 14:30 PM