X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

As I read the original, it took at least seven months to fix the gas fire.
    I read it as taking 7 months to get a new fire safety certificate, which now seems to have been the case. Nothing was said about the repair.

If there was another form of heating the landlord could simply have had the fire removed but the tenant could send them the bill for the certificate/ repair and see where it gets them. Since they plan to move anyway if it gets them a section 21 they probably wont be bothered. .

Anyway the point I was trying to make it that a property is not necessarily unsafe because a gas certificate is a couple of months late, especially if there was a previous valid certificate. Having your own certificate done doesnt necessarily make you any safer.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    EPC is valid for 10 years and only required at time of Letting or selling

Leave a comment:

• CLH
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your advice, will act on it. When I had the gas cert done myself that is when the gas fire fault was highlighted and made safe at the same time by the engineer.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    While your safety is paramount, there is a hidden upside to no gas certificate.
    While there isn't one, the landlord can't serve a s21 notice that's valid.
    The requirement is for the LL to provide the GSC to the tenant, so the T getting one done does not make a S21 notice valid.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
    I dont have a gas safety certificate for my own home, I dont consider it unsafe (but the boiler is serviced regularly). Was the faulty fire fixed promptly, if there is a boiler was that still serviced? Report it then move on.
    As I read the original, it took at least seven months to fix the gas fire.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    I dont have a gas safety certificate for my own home, I dont consider it unsafe (but the boiler is serviced regularly). Was the faulty fire fixed promptly, if there is a boiler was that still serviced? Report it then move on.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    A negligence claim will cost you a huge amount of money and effort.
    And you can only recover any loss (and possibly your costs), which are negligible.

You could demand the costs of the safety inspection from the landlord.

Leave a comment:

• CLH
    replied
    Proceed against her for her negligence as a landlord of course? To stop it happening to others.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Proceed against her for what?

NB Unlikely as she sounds a twit but she/her advisers could be viewing...

Leave a comment:

• CLH
    replied
    Thanks again, there is also no EPC on the property. I checked after the situation with the gas.

Forgot to ask, do I have to be resident within the property still in order to proceed legally against her?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    as jpk says, but don't tell landlord you have have had GSC done nor give him a copy.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    While your safety is paramount, there is a hidden upside to no gas certificate.
    While there isn't one, the landlord can't serve a s21 notice that's valid.

If you arrange your own, it's £50 to be reassured that you're safe, and insurance against being asked to leave at short notice.

Leave a comment:

• CLH
    replied
    Thank you, will report asap.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Here it is https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1

Leave a comment:

• CLH
    replied
    Thanks for your answer, who do I report to?

Yes as much as a pain it is to move, I am looking elsewhere for somewhere to live.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X