Co-habitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely agree that setting things straight before cohabiting is essential, and before buying a property with someone else. I insisted on deeds of trust when my son and his girlfriend moved in together because the alternative of no agreement could have been a disaster. If all things are equal it isn't a problem, like they put in the same capital and contribute equally to the mortgage but that is rarely the case. It is nothing to do with love etc but to do with looking after your finances and pragmatism. I too have a deed of trust because i have a lot more money than my partner, and i want my son to inherit it, if there's any left after I've enjoyed my retirement . . ..

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

Also could be the mortgage company insisting. Know of a couple where one partner can get a mortgage on their own, but the couple together couldn't. The mortgage company insisted there be a signed agreement by the other partner that they would have no interest in the property.
      Just trying to think how to make sense of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
        If we are talking about when unmarried couples buy a property, the answer should be: "I recommend it in every case."
        You're right.

I should have specified when renting.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X