Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not informed about major construction works before signing lease

Hiya,

I've recently rented a two bedroom flat (moved in middle of Feb). About two weeks ago they started major construction works on the flat. When I viewed the flat, I wasn't informed by the estate agent that any of this was going to take place.

The actual construction work itself doesn't have much impact on me as it usually takes place whilst I'm at work, however the issue is with the scaffolding. The apartment is on the ground floor, and it has a little garden area. However due to the work the garden area is basically unusable as it's just covered in scaffolding. Also on top of that, they have set up white covering which completely blocks all natural light on one side of the flat. I've spoken to the construction company and the works will be ongoing until November, which is the majority of the tenancy agreement.

I'm going to speak to both the landlord and estate agent about these issues, as had I been informed about this prior to signing the lease I probably would have looked elsewhere. Please could someone advice me how to best approach the situation, as it's the first time I've had to deal with something like that.

Thanks in advance!

Can you confirm that the garden area is for exclusive use by your flat and that the sub-lease (your tenancy agreement) gives you that exclusive use?

In that case, your landlord would have had to be given reasonable notice of the works, (although only a few weeks). Your lanldord's lease would, typically, require him to permit access. If your tenancy agreement doesn't have a similar clause, your landlord has been negligent in drafting it, or if notice wasn't given, they have not complied with it, in which case, in theory, you could sue him, although no t for much, for the reduction in value of the tenancy to you. Doing so will probably result in a section 21 eviction at the earliest opportunity.

If the tenancy agreement does allow such access on notice, it is still quite likely that notice would not have been given to your landlord in time to avoid your entering into the agreement.

Comment

Not telling you about something that would have influenced your decision is a misleading omission and the landlord/agent should be aware that that's a prohibited activity in consumer law.

Threaten them with trading standards if they put up a fight.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think you still need to be aware that the the typical absentee landlord in a block of flats is unlikely to be aware of this sort of work more than two to three weeks in advance of its happening. If it amounts to more than £250 per leaseholder, they should have known it was coming for two to three months, but may well have not paid attention to the likely impact on their flat.

If it is under £250 per leaseholder, or emergency work, they, themselves, would have to give access for it with no more than about 3 weeks notice (less for emergency work).

I suspect that a lot of landlords, sub-letting flats, fail to realise that their tenancy agreements need to reflect the terms of their own lease, and if they have failed to do so, they may have created a situation where the OP can claim against the landlord, but the landlord would be in breach for failing to allow the scaffolding. Whilst you might win such a case, you are likely to annoy the landlord sufficiently that you get an early, "no fault", eviction.

Landlords do not have the ability to clear the full six months' fixed period of works by the freeholder, or even works by other leaseholders.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant in IVA
          Kate foster
          Hello all,
          i am in a dilemma. I have a tenant who is keen to rent my property. The rent is 750 and they both earn 38,000 jointly. This covers the affordability side of things. The problem is that the girl is a active IVA for 4200 and is paying 70 pounds per month to pay it all back. She is happy...
          19-06-2019, 12:34 PM
        • Reply to Tenant in IVA
          Kate foster
          Yes I have alarm bells ringing as now she has said that the garauntor has backed out. Makes me wonder why that has happenned? Anyways I am staying clear with this one and will wait for another tenant. Thank you all so much for your advice. Definetely helped me decided what way to go. Kate...
          24-06-2019, 09:51 AM
        • Pets causing eviction
          Wiffle
          Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
          17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
        • Reply to Pets causing eviction
          tatemono
          if I was your landlord, I'd be furious if I'd discovered that the LA had not told me about the dogs prior to letting. I would sack my agent and take over the let or transfer it to another agent asap. I would also realise that your dogs are family to you (I hate dogs but feel the same way about our cats...
          24-06-2019, 09:33 AM
        • Digital signatures - how do YOU do it?
          Hooper
          I am increasingly being asked whether contracts can be signed digitally rather than meeting up specifically to sign. How do you folks do this, particularly if you are using your own contract rather than one supplied by an agent? Do you use a particular online service?
          20-06-2019, 22:05 PM
        • Reply to Digital signatures - how do YOU do it?
          tatemono
          Surely that should be "the bytes of memory they fill"?...
          24-06-2019, 09:25 AM
        • Electric meter access
          Letmein
          Hi

hopefully a quick question, can I lock the communal electric cupboard?

Access would be through the local agent?

This is is to stop tampering with the meters?

thanks...
          23-06-2019, 14:09 PM
        • Reply to Electric meter access
          leaseholder64
          The residents will require access to the circuit breakers and isolation switch without having to go through a third party.
          24-06-2019, 09:12 AM
        • Reply to Electric meter access
          jpkeates
          If you're the freeholder, the answer should be in your leases.
          24-06-2019, 09:02 AM
        • Son Wants To Rent Flat
          jessa46
          My student son wants to rent my flat. I'd have a lease agreement set up in his name only. He wants to do the do the 'rent a room' scheme by renting out the spare room to his student pal - is this possible? What paperwork would he need to keep, other than the receipt of payment? If the friend isn't on...
          22-06-2019, 12:08 PM
        Working...
        X