Lodger demanding deposit back when left without notice - advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodger demanding deposit back when left without notice - advice please

I had a lodger who moved in 10 weeks prior to leaving the house we both lived in with no notice whislt I was away for the weekend.

We had both signed a spareroom.com lodging agreement with a 4 week notice period.

9 days prior to disappearing he missed the rent and said his ex had spent the mortgage money so he had to pay it twice. Could he pay in a week... We had a chat and I said it was fine. He didn't pay a week later but I was away and returning 2 days later. I trusted there was an issue so would speak when I got back. On the way home I got a text saying he had to leave and he thought we were both feeling a but uncomfortable. He said for me to keep £200 (day by day he had stayed for £160 of that) of the deposit and return him the rest.

I emailed him the contract pointing out we had both signed it to give 4 weeks notice. That meant he owed over £650 and when I received the monies I'd pay the deposit back.

He then sent threatening messages and that I would hear from his solicitor. I got a letter from his solicitor claiming breach of misrepresentation. Said I had formed a relationship with a male who stayed regularly (fact is he stayed 2 nights in 10 weeks) and that a family member resided at the property for 2 weeks (fact 10 days but I have texts saying that a family member would stay for 10 days every couple of months and he responded that he totally understood by text). No other person came in the property (no friends) in 10 weeks he was there.

The solicitor has said I confined him to his room and excluded him from public areas we agreed which is a total fabrication.

Since the solicitors letter I've had a text saying he is taking it public, I am stealing, any advice I get is wrong etc..

I have had a friend who was a very good solicitor before she changed career write a rather strong letter but another friend who is a barrister says as neither party gave notice that I will lose in court and should pay the money. I took his text as notice obviously and the fact he had disappeared! I am so angry and so stained by his behaviour that I don't know of I can welcome anyone into my home again to Iive here so I don't know if I can even earn money through lodgings again in the future.

Anyone had any experience of anything similar? Lodger doing a moonlight flit, leaving you high and dry and having to pay them their deposit back? Taken to court and the outcome?

Thanks in advance.

Hayhurst

Are you sure the letter is from a solicitor and not just a mate? Breach of misrepresentation is a meaningless phrase and sounds made up. If he left without notice and the agreement you signed gives you the right to recovery of those funds from the deposit, then just calculate the amount he owes you and refund any difference and tell them you'll see him in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayhurst View Post
      another friend who is a barrister says as neither party gave notice that I will lose in court
      That just sounds so wrong...

Originally posted by Hayhurst View Post
      I got a letter from his solicitor claiming breach of misrepresentation. Said I had formed a relationship with a male who stayed regularly (fact is he stayed 2 nights in 10 weeks) and that a family member resided at the property for 2 weeks
      It is your home.
      Did the agreement say you would not have anyone else staying in YOUR home?

Comment

I can't imagine how him 'taking it public' will gain any interest from anyone. This is an everyday spat unfortunately.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

By my reckoning he owes you 6 weeks and 2 days rent - possibly more depending on what exactly was spelt out about when notice starts. Tell him that and if his deposit was more than that refund the difference. If it was less than that inform him that you will retain the full amount and if he wishes to go to court you will sue for the balance. I guess he's claiming breach of contract and misrepresentation but he'd have to prove that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Statutory periodic tenancy vs contractural periodic tenancy.
            buttons
            Having learned that a tenant without giving notice is still liable for council tax if a contractural periodic tenancy comes onto force at the end of a 6 month fixed term simply by adding this to the agreement, are there any disadvantages for a Landlord in adding this to a contract such as a change in...
            17-07-2019, 18:23 PM
          • Reply to Statutory periodic tenancy vs contractural periodic tenancy.
            leaseholder64
            The sub-paragraph in question only applies after the end of "fixed tenancy", but explicitly includes the possibility of an SPT, or other periodic continuation....
            18-07-2019, 17:28 PM
          • Reply to Statutory periodic tenancy vs contractural periodic tenancy.
            Lawcruncher
            If my definition of a fixed term tenancy is correct, that is that it is a tenancy which only has one possible end date (excluding any early termination by surrender, forfeiture, exercise of a right to break or whatever other than effluxion of time) then a tenancy granted for any length of time and expressed...
            18-07-2019, 17:12 PM
          • Part of deposit not protected
            coppernob
            Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
            16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
          • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
            DPT57
            Tell the landlord that if he repays you the deposit in full from his own funds, you will agree to him retaining the full deposit that's in the DPS account. It shouldn't be beyond his means to front fund this for 30 days....
            18-07-2019, 16:40 PM
          • Best option
            Locornwall
            I am considering buying a bungalow. It has a garage to the front and in a large rear garden, an outbuilding.

When considering making money from a possible lodge or Airbnb, what would you say is my best option? Maybe to convert the garage and provide extra room for an in house lodger or...
            18-07-2019, 13:57 PM
          • Reply to Best option
            jpkeates
            It was mentioned, but the main debate in that thread is whether the use of some kind of granny flat would be a lodger or a tenancy arrangement.
            So mostly about people living there.

Creating a situation where people stay somewhere temporarily is a different thing (it seems to me)....
            18-07-2019, 15:18 PM
          • Finding replacement tenant
            Chihuahua1461
            Hi guys,

Looking for some help or advice. I am currently renting from a private landlord in a shared living arrangement in the UK.

My current 12 month (and then rolling monthly) lease is due to end. In the contract it stipulates it is my responsibility to find a replacement...
            18-07-2019, 00:19 AM
          • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
            jpkeates
            I don't think the indefinite contract things going to fly.
            This is a straightforward lease with an initial term that continues in some (oddly undefined) way.

The only unusual thing about it is that the terms of the continuation aren't defined, which they normally would be - so there...
            18-07-2019, 15:14 PM
          • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
            Chihuahua1461
            Fingers crossed an expert will spot this as you say leaseholder64 - tell me their name, I'm not privy to such etiquette 😁

So it looks like I have to find a replacement prior to leaving then? Any previous tenants I have known have done this. It just makes it difficult to find myself a...
            18-07-2019, 15:06 PM
          Working...
          X