Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two sets off rates for 1 property

Hi All...anyone help me with this dilemma

i own a fairly large house which i rented out as 1 5 bedroom house,at the time i paid 1 council tax,the house has 2 staircases,a reception room,a games room,kitchen and utility,the tenant blocked a door up and sub let one end,the council found out and charged two rates,one for main house and one for "annex"

i have evicted the tenant and un bricked the doorway he had blocked making the annex,we now use the house as one,

my problem now is that the local council are saying it is now two property's now and i have to pay two rates,me and my wife are the only habitats off the house,we have changed the house back to its original status,however the council are saying 2 staircase,the utility room can easily be made into a kitchen and the games room can be lived in ,therefore two rates,,,i only have 1 gas meter,i water meter and one electric meter,1 front door and 1 rear door...surely this cannot be right,this mean's every large house in UK that theoretically can be split will pay 2 sets off rates ??

I think your best bet would be to contact the Valuation Office as I think they would be the one's that would deal with this issue.

https://www.gov.uk/challenge-council-tax-band

Comment

yup....i have sent an email,fingers crossed,my local council are adamant that the property is deemed as a main house and annex now and wont budge...trouble is i had previously paid single dwelling on my home for over 20 years,it was rented out as 1 home...its just that when he divided and council found out he was happy for him and his sub let to pay....now he is evicted i have this problem to solve....my main issue is that surely all homes 5-6 bedroom and over could theoretically be converted into 2 homes...is this now a ploy for more revenue ??

Comment

Its not theoretical in your case though. Your property HAD been converted into two dwellings and was re-valued. To get them to change the assessment you may need to convert it back to a state beyond where it was originally to a house that is clearly only capable of being one dwelling. Are you suing the tenant for any of your costs?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X