Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit Protection

Good morning all,

I was hoping someone might be able to provide some advice regarding a situation I am finding somewhat troubling.

The long and short of it is that due to our previous property (privately rented under an AST) being deemed uninhabitable back in June 2018 we were relocated into another property by the Landlord's loss adjuster for the duration of the repair works on the property.

For this second property we signed a 12 month AST however the financial responsibility for the rent and deposit sat with the other Landlord's insurers.

In December 2018 we decided that rather than return the previous property we would prefer to remain in the new property and having given the necessary notice we formally surrendered the original property and took over responsibility on the place we had been in for the previous 6 months.

At this point the estate agent (who also manage the property) stated that it was a simple case of us taking over the rental responsibility and transferring them the deposit so that this could replace what was previously paid by the insurers.

This was duly done via bank transfer and confirmed in writing to ourselves and ever since we have continued to pay the monthly rent as per the original agreement.

Having a spring clean over the weekend I happened to peruse the documentation provided to us when we originally incepted the AST in June and I was concerned that no mention of deposit protection was made. This in itself is perhaps not surprising as originally we were not responsible for the deposit however that situation has now changed. Since we paid the deposit in December we have received no Deposit Protection Certificate, no PI and no details as to who the deposit may have been protected with (or the type of protection used).

I have checked today with all three deposit protection companies and no one has any record of us, either with the December date or the June date when we originally moved in.

Hence I am now in a bit of a quandary, it would appear that our deposit hasn't been protected or at the very least this has not been communicated to us in any way shape or form. Can anyone please advise what steps we should now take in order to remedy this situation? Clearly we would like confirmation of deposit protection in the first instance, we are also wary of the repercussions of approaching this matter in the wrong way (not in a S21 sense more in that we could quickly become subject to harassment/intimidation).

Also would you advise us to hold fire on raising the issue until the end of the 12 month period (where we will most likely leave the property) or should we take this up with the Landlord/Agent right away?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you paid a deposit to the landlord/agent and it hasn't been protected, this has a downside for you unless the landlord or agent goes bust or you have a problem getting your money back at the end of the tenancy.

It has a downside for the landlord/agent in that they can't serve a valid s21 notice if the deposit isn't protected (they'd have to return it first) amd you can pursue them for a financial penalty for the non-performance with the protection regulations.
    Neither of those things change if they protect the deposit now having not done so from the start.

So, I'd say the obvious course of action is to tell the agent so that they can protect your money and give you the right information.
    That removes your downside and doesn't change the landlord/agent's downside.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Just as an update...

I asked for a copy of the deposit protection certificate from the managing agent and although they didn't respond directly to me I did subsequently receive an email confirming that our deposit was now protected. Logging in the dates align with the AST signed in June however quite clearly the deposit was only protected as of today.

Any advice as to what steps we should take now? Given the late protection of the deposit is it likely that a court would actually award compensation or would we be opening ourselves up to a prolonged period of legal conflict (resulting in additional costs)?

Comment

There's no reason to do anything now.
        You can sue for a penalty any time up to six years after it should be protected (if you can be bothered, it's not simple) but you'd almost certainly win - the onus is on the landlord/agent to prove the deposit was protected and they won't be able to.

You can still defend a s21 notice unless they return the deposit first, and any deductions they try and make when you leave will be easy to defend (because you can use the threat of the penalty) if the landlord tries to charge you for anything you don't agree with.

And your deposit is now protected, which means your money is safer and you have access to a dispute resolution service if the landlord charges you for (say) some damage when you move out, which you agree with, but not the amount being claimed.

Good outcome.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What he said ^ ^

Stay schtum now and wait and see if you ever need to use it as a bargaining chip.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
            by Lawcruncher
            I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
            27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
          • Is time more important than money?
            by jpucng62
            Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
            Garden was left in a mess...
            27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
            by MdeB
            That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
            Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
            27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
          • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
            by Beeble
            We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
            25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Lawcruncher
            The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
            27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Piffy
            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
            by AndrewDod
            Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
            27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
          • Inherited a few rentals
            by Landlord7289
            Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
            25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by DoricPixie
            Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
            27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
          • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
            by Hudson01
            Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
            27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
          Working...
          X