wheelchair adaptations refused

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    wheelchair adaptations refused

    My T has 3 children the first of whom is wheelchair bound. He is getting too big for her to lift and they need an adapted property. She has been advised to move as the council refuse to make the necessary adaptations to the bungalow they rent off me. I am willing to let them have the adaptations which would be very expensive. They have been my tenants for around 8 years and I have no intention of evicting them or selling the property so, all things being equal they are there for the long haul (providing I don't die).

    I have tried everywhere to find a suitable property for them but there are no accessible properties. Even if I issued a S21 it wouldn't get them into a suitable property because there just aren't any. I've emailed my MP and local councillors and T is going to do so too.

    Of course the bungalow could be made suitable if the council would spend the money.

    Does anyone have any advice on what we should do next? I think it looks like they will never live in a suitable property if we don't do something.

    Are the child's human rights being ignored?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    If you issue a Section 21 the council will have to provide them with accommodation and might have to fit those adaptions to another property. However that wouldnt necessarily be in the same area. They could try charities for the funding.

    Take a look here and apply yourself https://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/scenario.php?csid=312

    Your tenant/ you could consider if there is an Ombudsman that might help https://www.lgo.org.uk/

    Go to the press.


      I phoned the council but they don't actually have any houses - they're all with associations and the council didn't know if the associations had any. The new houses that are being built are too small and there don't seem to be any with accessibility inbuilt (I've looked at them as they've been built). T is keen to stay in the same area because the school can accommodate the child and they have special needs assistants.

      I never thought of charities so thanks for that, and your other suggestions.

      edit: I've forwarded those websites to my T.


        Your tenant need to take legal advice. With or without a section 21 served on them, they may well be eligible to be housed by the council as a priority in a suitable property. If the council is refusing to make suitable adaptations or otherwise housed them in a suitable property, it may well be in breach of human rights, and/or the Equality Act.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.


          The problem is there are no suitable properties in the area. This is why issuing a S21 wouldn't be of any benefit to them and might mean her child is put into respite or somewhere away from T and siblings.

          Do you have a link to human rights? Is it an act?


            New builds have to meet current buildings which have whole sections on accessibility! (I really mean the approved documents, not the actual regulations.) https://assets.publishing.service.go...ndments_V3.pdf

            Unfortunately, it looks like wheelchair usability is an optional section for when planning consent requires it.


              Oops, I accidentally deleted my comment. I said the council can't house them in a suitable property becasue there aren't any.



                I've just looked at that doc and yes, wheelchair usability is, indeed, optional which is why none of the newbuilds I've been watching being built are suitable.


                  Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                  I said the council can't house them in a suitable property becasue there aren't any.
                  If they have a duty to house, then they have a duty to house. They can't discharge it by "oh we don't have anything suitable".

                  Hence, legal advice time.
                  I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.


                    How much money are we talking about for the alterations? Could you not collect extra rent for a time to pay for them?


                      What modifications are required?
                      Occ Health were v helpful with mods/costs for a disabled T of mine. They did the required assessment. Nec work for the disabled used to be VAT zero rated.


                        What kind of adaptations are we talking about?

                        The most usual are access ramps and a wetroom.
                        Then you get into things like bath/bed hoists, elevators, etc.

                        If we are just talking ramps then there are cheaper alternatives to what the council will have specified.
                        They usually say that you must have a concrete ramp with handrails and a flat area at the top so the wheelchair can turn, in line with the Approved Documents.

                        All very good, but not always needed for a private residence.
                        The problem is that building regulations concentrate on publicly accessible buildings and not private residences.
                        Because the approved documents don't realy cover private residences then the councils fall back on specifying the same as for public buildings.

                        There are if course much cheaper, entirely legal, alternatives.
                        Here's just a couple of ramp suppliers, you can see the various options:

                        Wet rooms are obviously going to be expensive to install, (builder/plumber/electrician), and will need approval by the councils building control.

                        Bath/bed hoists can also be expensive, but there are many portable types that don't need to be 'built in'.

                        I was going to add a link to DLF, but I see that buzzard has already supplied one.


                          Hi Berlingogirl,

                          I just wanted to say that your concern for the tenant is refreshing and I hope that they do appreciate your positive attitude and understanding.

                          As mentioned previously bu other people issuing a Section 21 might be the best course of action, generally if the council do not have the resources to re-home someone they will contact the landlord or agent to discuss if the tenant can stay in the property.

                          It would be cheaper for the council to make adaptions and allow them to stay then to make adaptions to another property, possibly front their first months rent, deposit and help them with removals, as the council, depending on the borough may do this.

                          Charities are a good option, they may help to pay a portion of the costs, and then the tenants can pay the remainder.

                          What nukecad has pointed out, may be a much more economic way for making adaptions.

                          Good Luck.


                            Just to add a link to a good resource for finding Charitable Grants.

                            This page is your starter, it has links to various search tools from respected organisations that can help you find disability grants:


                              The problem is the dfg disabled facilities grant will only be granted for tenants when they are in settled accommodation and likely to remain in the property for the forseeable future. You could aid the situation by granting a long tenancy, however there may be legal ramifications for you if you grant a long tenancy. Have a chat to the dfg facilitator at the LA and see what is needed.


                              Latest Activity