Trying to figure out notice period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure out notice period

I gave my notice to my letting agency on Sunday - I have not yet received a response from them, which isn't surprising as they're awful at communication.

I've since read my tenancy agreement, and I'm wondering if I gave the correct notice. I assumed it would be one month's notice so put 31/03/2019 as the leaving date. In the contract it states this...

Terms of tenancy

From and including 18/07/2018
    To and including 17/01/2019

Should the tenancy not be determined at the end of such period. it shall continue thereafter from month to month until it shall be determined either by the landlord giving not less than two months' notice in writing or the tenant giving not less that one month's notice in writing that will expire at the end of a rental period

Rent

Rent £600.00 per calendar month payable monthly in advance by banker's standing order, the first payment to be made on the signing of this agreement and thereafter on the 000 day of each month.

So I'm pretty confused... on reading that initially I thought the 'rental period' just referred to a month, but does it meant the rental period 18th to the 18th of each month?

Thanks in advance

Your notice need to end on 17th of a month.

And beware Saturday/Sunday/Bank holidays, it's one month from the date the notice is deemed served, which is normally a weekday. See your tenancy agreement as to how that's determined.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

And you are LL or T?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Smoking tenant
        by Hudson01
        I can only echo the above comments, you have done what you need too, although to be honest i would have taken this action years ago, if you have never liked all the smoke then why put up with it for so long...... I would be very unhappy about all the smoke but i would seriously consider selling both...
        13-05-2021, 19:42 PM
      • Smoking tenant
        by renting25
        Please can you offer us advice as to whether there is any action that can be taken to stop a very serious situation of anti social behaviour.My wife and myself own 2 maisonettes a upstairs owned by me that we both live in and a downstairs that is owned by my wife and she has rented the property out...
        13-05-2021, 17:17 PM
      • Reply to Early change of Landlord
        by theartfullodger
        Sympathy! Don't forget to advise tenants to pursue the agent's complaints process and when that process fails - (I can foresee the future) - to use the lettings agent redress scheme. See here advice from Mssrs Shelter..
        https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes

Good luck:...
        13-05-2021, 19:34 PM
      • Early change of Landlord
        by islandgirl
        Would be grateful for thoughts on this. Daughter signed student tenancy for next academic year on Monday this week. LL shown as an individual with the same name as the letting agency. Yesterday she was told that the LL wishes to self manage and to change her standing order payment to an investment company...
        13-05-2021, 09:52 AM
        by Jon66
        Yes I agree with the above. Make sure you have complied with statutory requirements to ensure any s21 is valid.
        13-05-2021, 18:59 PM
      • Unreasonably Withholding Consent on Internal Layout Change
        by wabdiddly
        Dear All,

Looking for an opinion and some legal views behind what I can do in the following situation.

My top floor flat has rather wonky flooring, which the structural engineer's report described as "in poor condition and needs levelling to provide satisfactory living...
        13-05-2021, 18:28 PM
        by ash72
        You have been provided the advice by your legal council, if you want them out seek possession of the property (do it before S21 is removed), you need to now moved to the next stage which is put in an application for possession, then finally bailiffs. I would also stop complaining to the T's it is harassment,...
        13-05-2021, 17:44 PM
      • Reply to New landlord needs some advice
        by DPT57
        She wouldn't be able to rent it straight away anyway if you carry out referencing, (which you should), as this takes a few days. I get people to complete an application form too. A lot of prospective tenants are flaky on OR. Some promise to call you and you never hear from them again, even if you try...
        13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
      • New landlord needs some advice
        by wenqi
        Hi, I am just a new landlord who is renting our first property using openrent. I do need some advice from you.

We had a very lovely lady to view our house. She looked love our property and wanted to take it straight away. Because she came alone (her partner was working), my husband advised...
        12-05-2021, 19:56 PM
      • Reply to 'Replacement tenancy' issue
        by berliner
        "If the new tenancy is for a lesser rent, the tenant will remain liable to pay an amount equal to the difference between the original rent and new lower rental figure up to the end of the original fixed term."

I read in a similar post that such a clause might not be enforceab...
        13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
      Working...
      X