Jointly owned property - can one Landlord ask for half the rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jointly owned property - can one Landlord ask for half the rent?

I a property is jointly owed, 50/50 - can one of the landlords request the tenants to pay them half of the rent?

Assuming tenants in common, they can certainly account to HMRC as though that had happened, so I don't see why not.

What is the broader context of the question?

Comment

You can come to whatever arrangements you and the tenant agree.

Who the landlord is isn't determined by ownership, it's determined by who the landlord is on the tenancy agreement and, if there isn't one, by whoever is paid the rent.

From a legal point of view, even where there are joint landlords, there's only one "rent", so the tenant could simply decline to make a split payment.
      No particular reason why they would, but it's not a sensible outcome and it would be highly unusual.

There are obligations on landlords relating to providing addresses and contact details which are difficult to meet if the landlords are basically trying to operate separately.
      How are the two of you going to pay for a repair?
      Who does the tenant report a defect to?
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Please complete & paste https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ll-new-posters

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          Not needed for this question.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X