Jointly owned property - can one Landlord ask for half the rent?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Jointly owned property - can one Landlord ask for half the rent?

    I a property is jointly owed, 50/50 - can one of the landlords request the tenants to pay them half of the rent?

    Assuming tenants in common, they can certainly account to HMRC as though that had happened, so I don't see why not.

    What is the broader context of the question?


      You can come to whatever arrangements you and the tenant agree.

      Who the landlord is isn't determined by ownership, it's determined by who the landlord is on the tenancy agreement and, if there isn't one, by whoever is paid the rent.

      From a legal point of view, even where there are joint landlords, there's only one "rent", so the tenant could simply decline to make a split payment.
      No particular reason why they would, but it's not a sensible outcome and it would be highly unusual.

      There are obligations on landlords relating to providing addresses and contact details which are difficult to meet if the landlords are basically trying to operate separately.
      How are the two of you going to pay for a repair?
      Who does the tenant report a defect to?
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Please complete & paste


          Originally posted by mariner View Post
          Not needed for this question.


          Latest Activity


          • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by Renterthedragon
            I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

            I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

            Approaching the end...
            18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
          • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
            by ash72
            I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

            Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
            18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
          • notifying utility companies of tenant change
            by flyingfreehold
            Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
            18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by Hooper
            I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
            18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
          • Single parent renting
            by Dct
            A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
            18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by Hudson01
            This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
            18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Hudson01
            As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
            18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
          • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
            so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
            18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
          • Reply to Let a house to local council
            by ram
            If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

            It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
            18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
          • Let a house to local council
            by r3drum

            Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

            Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
            20-11-2019, 11:58 AM