Right to Rent ruled discriminatory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to Rent ruled discriminatory

Judicial review in High Court declared the Right to Rent legislations to be incompatible with human rights

https://news.rla.org.uk/right-to-ren...es-high-court/
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Three cheers for the High Court!

Comment

More love for the Human Rights Act on its way from the government.

Millions to Eurotunnel, probation service in tatters and now this.
      Great morning for the government.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Did you also notice the article on that website about Natwest scrapping 'No DSS' clauses in BTL mortgages?

https://news.rla.org.uk/rla-win-as-n...s-no-dss-rule/

Comment

A double victory day! 🎇🎇🎇

Comment

So why on earth was the 'Residential Landlord's Association' concerning itself with the rights of illegal immigrants?

Talk about 'with friends like that...'
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

It's not concerning itself with the rights of illegal immigrants.
              It's concerned that landlords are being encouraged to discriminate illegally by a stupid law.

If the border control is so lax that people with no right to reside can stay in the country, that needs to be sorted out without making landlords do the work.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                So why on earth was the 'Residential Landlord's Association' concerning itself with the rights of illegal immigrants?

Talk about 'with friends like that...'
                I think you may have missed the point, or in fact two. The first is that the effect of the legislation is that makes landlords who would not otherwise discriminate, discriminate for fear of being penalised. The second (and probably what interests the RLA) is that it effectively imposes on landlords a requirement to be immigration officers.

It may of course be that the RLA are also outraged at a law which scythes through the ancient principle that where the Queen's writ runs all are equal under the law.

Comment

Written statement made yesterday by Caroline Nokes. (The Minister of State for Immigration, if you were wondering).

https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...3-05/HCWS1379/

We disagree with this finding and the Home Office has been granted permission to appeal all aspects of the judgment.

In the meantime, the provisions passed by this House in 2014 remain in force. There are no immediate changes to the operation of the policy. Landlords and letting agents are still obliged to conduct Right to Rent checks as required in legislation.

They must not discriminate against anyone on the basis of their colour or where they come from.

Comment

They're morons aren't they?
                    The legislation doesn't make right to rent checks mandatory and no one is "obliged" to carry them out.

That's one of the reasons the law creates discrimination because you can choose to rent to people where the checks appear not to be necessary instead of people with foreign and complicated documents.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Ending contracts
                      by ash72
                      You should be able to leave the contract, if there isn't anyone living there and you don't want them to find another T, then they don't make any money. But read any contract you signed.

You should read the comments in this forum about renting to friends and family - just don't do it.
                      21-05-2022, 14:57 PM
                    • Ending contracts
                      by Pineapple288
                      2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
                      21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
                    • Reply to Noise from rented property
                      by DPT57
                      Interesting, but it sounds like the university is definitely exceeding its authority and a clued up student could easily challenge any sanction they tried to impose.
                      21-05-2022, 14:47 PM
                    • Noise from rented property
                      by zcacogp
                      Hi,

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
                      18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
                    • Reply to Ending contracts
                      by DoricPixie
                      As Artful says, you'll need to read your contract with the letting agency to see how and when the contract can be terminated.

It seems more likely that your friend signed a new 12 month fixed term contract in January than the the tenancy agreement having an abnormally...
                      21-05-2022, 14:02 PM
                    • Reply to None UK Wife Joining Tenant on a Period Agreement
                      by Mldn
                      To conclude with an update:
                      Landlords in this position strongly advised to speak to Home Office Landlord Visa section in the first instance. You many experience a 'to-ing and fro-ing' between that section and the Landlords 'Right to Rent' section. See what they both say. They should both be advising...
                      21-05-2022, 13:58 PM
                    • None UK Wife Joining Tenant on a Period Agreement
                      by Mldn
                      My tenant has been on a periodic agreement since September 2016. He has been a good tenant. His partner who was with him when he first rented left the property and was not replaced.
                      He is now on a periodic agreement. I have not raised the rent since September 2016.

He has explained...
                      06-05-2022, 12:34 PM
                    • Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                      by SouthernDave
                      mr Khan is a moron...
                      21-05-2022, 13:53 PM
                    • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                      by jpkeates
                      The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
                      That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
                      19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
                    • Reply to Section 21 During Contract Period
                      by DPT57
                      I think there's some date confusion above. If your 6 month fixed term tenancy began on 9 December, then it ends on 8 June. If you leave by midnight on that day then there will be no penalty or advance notice required. If you stay beyond this time a statutory periodic tenancy will arise. S5(5) of the...
                      21-05-2022, 13:34 PM
                    Working...
                    X