Right to Rent ruled discriminatory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to Rent ruled discriminatory

Judicial review in High Court declared the Right to Rent legislations to be incompatible with human rights

https://news.rla.org.uk/right-to-ren...es-high-court/
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Three cheers for the High Court!

Comment

More love for the Human Rights Act on its way from the government.

Millions to Eurotunnel, probation service in tatters and now this.
      Great morning for the government.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Did you also notice the article on that website about Natwest scrapping 'No DSS' clauses in BTL mortgages?

https://news.rla.org.uk/rla-win-as-n...s-no-dss-rule/

Comment

A double victory day! 🎇🎇🎇

Comment

So why on earth was the 'Residential Landlord's Association' concerning itself with the rights of illegal immigrants?

Talk about 'with friends like that...'
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

It's not concerning itself with the rights of illegal immigrants.
              It's concerned that landlords are being encouraged to discriminate illegally by a stupid law.

If the border control is so lax that people with no right to reside can stay in the country, that needs to be sorted out without making landlords do the work.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                So why on earth was the 'Residential Landlord's Association' concerning itself with the rights of illegal immigrants?

Talk about 'with friends like that...'
                I think you may have missed the point, or in fact two. The first is that the effect of the legislation is that makes landlords who would not otherwise discriminate, discriminate for fear of being penalised. The second (and probably what interests the RLA) is that it effectively imposes on landlords a requirement to be immigration officers.

It may of course be that the RLA are also outraged at a law which scythes through the ancient principle that where the Queen's writ runs all are equal under the law.

Comment

Written statement made yesterday by Caroline Nokes. (The Minister of State for Immigration, if you were wondering).

https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...3-05/HCWS1379/

We disagree with this finding and the Home Office has been granted permission to appeal all aspects of the judgment.

In the meantime, the provisions passed by this House in 2014 remain in force. There are no immediate changes to the operation of the policy. Landlords and letting agents are still obliged to conduct Right to Rent checks as required in legislation.

They must not discriminate against anyone on the basis of their colour or where they come from.

Comment

They're morons aren't they?
                    The legislation doesn't make right to rent checks mandatory and no one is "obliged" to carry them out.

That's one of the reasons the law creates discrimination because you can choose to rent to people where the checks appear not to be necessary instead of people with foreign and complicated documents.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X