S21 Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S21 Notice

I am the tenant - AST started in 2016, initially 6 months now periodic.
    I previously lived abroad for 12 years and returned to England in 2016 due to the time I spent living outside the UK I had no credit rating. Understandably I found it hard to rent a flat that wasn't a complete hole, the flat I'm renting now is a level above being a hole but not great.

Without going into the nitty gritty the landlord has always been negligent and has always refused to fix faults/replace items instead insisting I had to foot the bill. Most of these I could live without and some I repaired myself, it wasn't ideal but whilst I rebuilt my credit rating I went along with it.
    However a few months ago a window became a new issue and the landlord refused to repair it, they wanted me to pay for it as usual. I have an okay credit rating now so decided it was time to find somewhere actually liveable. I thought I would play the landlord at their own game, I reported them to the council for the window and subsequent mould it has caused and other minor things that the landlord had failed to fix/repair. Environmental health issued the landlord with a notice, landlord then came to the flat unannounced with all guns blazing. I told them I was looking for elsewhere to live, still the next day I saw them put something through the door, an S21.
    The S21 is invalid for numerous reasons; no how to rent book, no smoke detectors, various issues reported to landlord that were never dealt with, council issued landlord improvement notice before S21 was served and the deposit was never protected.

The tenancy agreement said the deposit is with the DPS but I called them today and it was never actually deposited. I am following the Shelter website for advice on this, do I send the letter before action whilst I'm still living in the property or wait until I leave? Is this even the right thing to do?
    Do I need to acknowledge the S21? The landlord keeps trying to contact me, they've also knocked on the front door (I ignored). Do I have to tell them its invalid? By acknowledging it am I saying it is valid? My credit score isn't amazing but it is okay now, I am actively looking for somewhere new to live but want to wait and find at least a semi decent not the only hole that's available to me again. Anything else I should be aware of?

If you're planning on moving anyway, I'd wait until you've left to take LL to court for the penalty from not protecting the deposit. While living there still, the courts would get him to protect it and I know with some of them, they won't release until a certain amount of time has passed since protecting it.
    either way you can claim the penalty, so that part makes no difference.

You don't have to acknowledge the s21 or tell the LL it's invalid - it's their responsibility to ensure everything has been done properly.

I don't know this next part from experience, but they'd have to get a possession order from the courts. I assume that when that happens you'll have the chance to have your say, but don't hold me to that. That would be when you could mention the reasons that the s21 is invalid, but I'm not sure you could use that to claim the penalty at that point. It would, I guess, only bide you more time at the property.

Comment

Originally posted by themysciramama View Post
      I know with some of them, they won't release until a certain amount of time has passed since protecting it.
      I'm still not convinced the schemes are legally allowed to do that.

That would be when you could mention the reasons that the s21 is invalid
      Tenant get served a copy of the claim, who then have so long to file a defence to the claim.

but I'm not sure you could use that to claim the penalty at that point.
      If you're using the fact that the deposit wasn't validly protected as defence to the possession claim, then you can counterclaim for the related deposit penalty at the same time.

I won't repeat my answers to OP questions that I have already provided elsewhere.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Don't expect a helpful ref from LL.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

I won't repeat my answers to OP questions that I have already provided elsewhere.
          Ahh yes I recognise your username, thank you for the advice it was exactly what I was looking for.

I did initially post on this platform first but for some reason it didn’t appear for over a day so cross posted it there too.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            Don't expect a helpful ref from LL.
            Honesty is the best policy. I have a confirmed a new tenancy now and told that letting agent my old landlord was negligent and hadn’t fixed issues which had been present from when I started the tenancy. They said they only needed to ask my old letting agency if I had ever paid issues with paying the rent.

Comment

Originally posted by LEM View Post

Honesty is the best policy. I have a confirmed a new tenancy now and told that letting agent my old landlord was negligent and hadn’t fixed issues which had been present from when I started the tenancy. They said they only needed to ask my old letting agency if I had ever paid issues with paying the rent.
              Last sentence is not Engish

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                by Renterthedragon
                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by ash72
                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by flyingfreehold
                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum
                Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
              Working...
              X