Where do you get AST contracts from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get AST contracts from?

Hello - I am a landlord who rents out two small unfurnished flats. So far I have always used a basic AST contract you can buy in WH Smiths for about £15, which is just one page, plus there are some additional clauses that I have appended . Today I was getting some advice from a solicitor about something connected with my tenant and he looked over the contract and said it wasn't good enough, because it doesn't have anything about whose responsibility it is to pay council tax, electricity bill, etc, and about how the tenant mustn't cause a nuisance to neighbours or do anything illegal. He said his firm could draw one up for me for about £600 or I could look into other sources such as Legal Aid or try copying one from an estate agent. Can I ask what people here use? There must be something good enough that is in between £15 and £600. Thanks for any replies.

Join NLA/RLA and use theirs.

Comment

Thanks. It is £89 to become a member, so that seems fairly reasonable. I just hope their AST isn't a one-pager like the one I've been using so far. Has anyone here used the NLA one and is it comprehensive?

Comment

Got mine off here, think it was £15?

Comment

The Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government has a free model agreement on gov.uk.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thanks. I will take a look at the gov.uk one and the one on here. Hadn't spotted that yet.

Comment

The critical thing with flats is that the AST must cover all the limitations and most of the duties imposed by the lease on the flat, or there must a a separate deed, with your own landlord, in which your tenant agrees to be hound by terms similar to those in your lease.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                The critical thing with flats is that the AST must cover all the limitations and most of the duties imposed by the lease on the flat
                Also applies to anything in the deeds for a house, be it freehold or leasehold (e.g. my home deeds include "no caravans and no boats to be parked on the property").

Put these in a separate schedule to the agreement as they are non-negotiable, and refer to them from the tenant's obligations..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X