Permitted Occupier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permitted Occupier

I currently rent a house and live alone, but have asked LL is they are happy for my partner to move in. LL manages the property but used LA to source T. LL has conferred with LA and come back saying the LA advised the best option is for my partner to become a "permitted occupier". They said that she only has right to stay at the property whilst I'm living there, and I'd still be fully responsible for rent, bills etc.

I'm perfectly happy with this and glad they agreed she can move in. However before agreeing to anything I just want to check with you guys if there's anything I should be aware of in terms of a "permitted occupier"? I've come across things in the past and have come to learn to be very careful before agreeing to anything and realise that my email reply will likely be legally binding. 99% confident it's all fine but just being cautious. TIA

There's no legal "thing" as a permitted occupier, it's just what people call someone who lives there who isn't a tenant.

It's a sensible approach in my view - joint tenancies can be messy.
    Particularly (no offence) if the relationship ends.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeates, I'll happily reply to LL agreeing. I'm not concerned about any issues with co-habiting relationship-wise with as we're both fairly mature and civil (though its true you never know), my main concern was just finding out down the line from LL/LA that I'd inadvertently agreed to something through permitted occupier more than I'm aware of.

If only I could persuade LL to allow pets now...rats can be permitted occupiers right

Comment

The landlord might agree if you offered to pay more rent in exchange for a pet.
        They cause damage (I own pets) and the landlord would probably have to pay to fix it if they allow pets.

Or some landlords just say no as a rule.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think the latter is the case here. When I originally asked the LLs said they have a no pets rule now as they've had bad experiences with tenants and pets in the past (they rent out quite a few properties). I've only been there a few months so far and already asked for pets, permission to plant in garden and partner to move in (grateful they agreed to last two) and I don't want to come across as an annoying tenant that constantly bugs them.

I'll wait a bit and hopefully they'll see I am responsible, then ask again about the rats and offer increased rent and/or increased deposit as you suggested. I've read I could potentially go down the route of getting them anyway and arguing it's unreasonable to deny considering the pet/risk/offers etc however I'd prefer to keep in good relations with my LL. I'm currently with the ombudsman with my last LL (he said we could end tenancy early, then said we couldn't but at this point we had already organised and paid for new place), so I'd prefer to keep on good terms with current LL.

Comment

The problem with just getting a pet without the landlord's consent is that any pet "damage" is not fair wear and tear.
            And that becomes a significant issue if the landlord wants to completely recarpet for example - it's very hard to argue that that's unreasonable.

And you can't house train rats.

Comment

Agreed, I'm not going to try to go down that road anyway as it would break down relations with the landlord and cause more hassle than it's worth. Will have to wait until I get my own place.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X