Help with bad landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have offered her 11 different dates to come and inspect, she is saying no I am coming on this date at this time. My friend has no problem with her inspecting but she wants to be home at the time and she wants me there to translate and I don’t finish work until 5pm. We have asked her to come at 5.30 and she has said no. She is deliberately trying to ensure that my friend who speaks almost no English is alone.

Comment

She also refuses to issue the section 13 notice that I asked for and said the rent is going regardless, although she has now changed it to the 1st April as I said the 1st March was not enough notice.

Comment

She seems to have her own ideas of how the law works, else she is trying to convince you that's how the law works.

You have told her she can't just write that she is putting it up without your friends agreement and your friend doesn't have to leave if she doesn't pay the increase. No need to reply any further at the moment with regards to those points.

If she was to write that your friend is in rent arrears after the date it was supposed to go up then you reply saying all rent lawfully due has been paid and there has been no agreement to increase the rent.

Then wait on the section 13 notice. When it comes check it has been filled in correctly, if it's done wrong it isn't valid so you can then ignore that as well.

Alternatively you could try to end the fighting and try negotiating eg say you will agree to a smaller increase from April if she does whatever repairs need doing before then.

Comment

Is there a chain on the door or a bolt on the inside? Is so then the child should use it to prevent the landlord access. Also she should just not pay any rent increase at this point.

Comment

Can we see the email telling the tenant to turn the boiler back on? And the gas safety certificate failing the tests, redacted of course?

Comment

Ok this is the report issued by this first engineer who inspected the boiler. He apparently told the landlord that my friend had damaged the boiler but didn’t put this in the report or say it to my friend and we’ve seen no proof of this.

Comment

The landlord then said my friend had to pay for the repair. When we replied refusing a second person came the next day to see the boiler. He also didn’t say my friend had caused it and didnt say it was safe or switch it back on. He apparently told the landlord it was safe because the gas safety check said so but that check was before it was switched off for safety.

Comment

And then when we refused to switch it back on and reported to environmental health they contacted the landlord and she sent this email. It has been replaced now and is working fine but she only did it because environmental health contacted her. If she had proof it was safe or my friend caused it why would she then pay for a new boiler?

Comment

The engineer's description of the fault is too small to read.

Comment

Is that better?

Comment

It keeps shrinking the image, it’s really clear until I upload it

Comment

Flue not properly secure nor sealed. No co alarm and in children's bedroom.
                          Boiler intermittent and sometimes doesn't work.
                          Customer suspects smell of gas (however no gas leak).
                          The first sentence is what condemns it. Landlord problem.

Boilers are not normally in bedrooms. I suppose that might require a CO alarm. Who is responsible for the room being used as a bedroom?

The third sentence. Not, I think, a gas safety issue. Could become an HHSRS issue. Landlord problem.

Fourth sentence. Engineer is protecting themselves but seems to be saying it is safe.

Comment

Judging by the unsealed and unsecure flue it cant have passed its previous Gas safety checks? Im betting the landlord dodnt even bother with them.

At this point i would say get onto environmental health about the other issues in the property, refuse to pay the rent increase and hopefully landlord mucks up the section 21 process so that you can delay for as long as needed to find somewhere more suitable.

There are new laws and regulations thought up on a frequent basis to try and stamp out these types of landlords and they still seem to be able to do what they want. Was the deposit protected? I bet that wasnt either.

Comment

Did you show environmental health the email where she told your friend she could turn the condemned boiler back on?

Is the property in England? If so also ask council if it is in a landlord 'selective licensing area'. If in Wales all Landlord’s have to be licensed. I would imagine that asking someone to commit an offence by turning a condemned boiler back on this would be a breach of license?

Comment

Originally posted by SacreLao View Post
                                The attached picture mentions "previous landlord".

Is this a property that was sold after your friend moved in?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How do you handle the Tenant Fees ban?
                                  kelbol
                                  Now that LL can't charge for on-boarding fees such as inventory and credit checks, how do you handle these fees?
                                  Do you absorb them? increase the rent? Ask tenants to turn up with their own credit checks in hand?

I found asking potential tenants to pay a (reasonable) fee for a credit...
                                  17-07-2019, 08:38 AM
                                • Reply to How do you handle the Tenant Fees ban?
                                  boletus
                                  From the government's site;

You may ask a tenant to provide information which supports you to carry out a reference check, such as:
                                  • bank statements – to assess a tenant’s income and ability to pay rent
                                  • a reference from a previous landlord (you cannot ask a tenant
                                  17-07-2019, 10:12 AM
                                  jpkeates
                                  They have:

That's also a "Prohibited Payment"
                                  You can't require a tenant to pay a 3rd party or enter into a contract with a 3rd party.

Which I think rules out asking them to turn up with a credit report of their own.
                                  Plus, the credit report would...
                                  17-07-2019, 09:07 AM
                                • How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                                  milleniumaire
                                  Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
                                  16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
                                • Reply to How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                                  jpkeates
                                  That's not quite correct.
                                  The knowledge without action might impact any damages in a legal claim against the tenant, but it doesn't change the terms of the contract or permit the breach.

In reality, the landlord has seen some damage, some pet food and something that might be droppings....
                                  17-07-2019, 09:00 AM
                                • New carpets
                                  Evans86
                                  hello I have been in my rented property for 10 years now and the carpets are freying (I’ve resorted to gaffa tape) they are coming away at every door tred and even at the stairs. I have contacted the letting agent several times and they don’t even get back to me! Am I responsible for getting new...
                                  16-07-2019, 17:50 PM
                                • Reply to New carpets
                                  jpkeates
                                  Most carpets won't last more than 10 years and the landlord should replace them (as a matter of routine, really).
                                  It doesn't matter if the rent has increased or not.

Legally the position is vague, because carpets are seen as a furnishing (oddly).
                                  17-07-2019, 08:57 AM
                                • Tenant referencing
                                  Sam87
                                  Afternoon,

I'm just wondering if letting agents can with hold tenant references if I try and obtain a reference about a potential tenant myself aswell as getting a reference company to so the Same? I currently pay someone to do the referencing however for the 'previous landlord/agent' reference...
                                  16-07-2019, 12:34 PM
                                • Reply to Tenant referencing
                                  jpkeates
                                  Depends on what the tenant said up front to explain it (unless they're very young).

Young people typically don't have much history that's positive for credit rating.
                                  My son has a middling credit rating, but that's because he doesn't have any credit to speak of.

If someone...
                                  17-07-2019, 08:52 AM
                                  islandgirl
                                  What if you charge at cost (which is what I do anyway?) ie no profit for me and tenant pays the company themselves
                                  17-07-2019, 08:47 AM
                                Working...
                                X