Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing joint tenant from rolling AST

Hi. Hope you can help me.

I live with my wife, child and disabled adult brother in law (A).

A and myself are in a joint AST. The fixed term has ended and it is rolling.

My wife is not on the lease (as she has poor credit history and does not have an income and it would have affected our ability to obtain the tenancy). She is a permitted occupier.

Due to A's condition he is having to move out and we need to remove A from the joint tenancy so that he can take up a new tenancy.

I wish to remain in the property and carry on the tenancy as normal.

I am a professional with decent credit history and sufficient salary to cover the rent. I still have the same job that I had when I started the tenancy. Nothing has changed.

First issue is that my letting agent wants to charge A a £25 fee for providing a reference to his new landlord? Is this fair and reasonable?

Secondly, the letting agent wants me, and my wife, to start a brand new tenancy and for us both to go through the whole referencing process again- with all the fees that go with it!

Is this correct?

What is the most efficient and cheapest way to remove A from the joint tenancy?

I appreciate your time and help.

What the agent is proposing (ignoring the fee element) is the best solution.
    The current joint tenancy ends and a completely new one begins - with any issues with the "old" deposit sorted and the deposit returned and a new deposit protected.
    There isn't really any other way to remove a joint tenant other than ending the tenancy.

Your wife doesn't have to be on the AST necessarily, she could presumably continue to be an occupant as now.
    Which would mean you would be the only tenant.

Fees for providing a reference, at £25 that sounds not as bad as it could be.
    The fees for the referencing and creation of a new tenancy would be in line with the amount of work for any new tenancy (i.e. probably outrageous and they'll charge the landlord too).
    But inevitable until June 1st, when they're banned.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is correct that you really need a new tenancy. The advice, given here, is that any attempt to remove or replace a tenant in a joint tenancy is inadvisable.

It is really up to the landlord as to the referencing process, although I can't see why they want new references. They may well want a new credit check.

Except under some council licensing schemes, landlords are not obliged to give references, so it seems to me that they can charge someone for them. It will soon be illegal to charge the prospective tenant, but isn't illegal yet.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        It is correct that you really need a new tenancy.
        Not necessarily so. You could just continue on the periodic tenancy with you and A as named tenants.

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        landlords are not obliged to give references, so it seems to me that they can charge someone for them. It will soon be illegal to charge the prospective tenant, but isn't illegal yet.
        I think that charging to write a reference for a new agency/landlord will not be illegal under the Tenant Fees Act, as it is not to do with the tenancy provided by the LL/agent that is charging.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
          Not necessarily so. You could just continue on the periodic tenancy with you and A as named tenants.
          It would have issues with any benefits though.
          I think that charging to write a reference for a new agency/landlord will not be illegal under the Tenant Fees Act, as it is not to do with the tenancy provided by the LL/agent that is charging.[/QUOTE]
          It's not a permitted payment, so it will be banned.
          They could charge the new landlord/agent, though.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            It's not a permitted payment, so it will be banned.
            Oh yes, S1.(6)(f) and S 2.(5)(e)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Increasing rent
              Twohoots
              Hi - haven't been on here for several years as we have been jogging along nicely.

We have a small property which we rent out and the same tenants have been in there for nearly 6 years now. we have never increased the rent during that time. They are good tenants but I feel we ought to...
              20-02-2017, 10:26 AM
            • Reply to Increasing rent
              MdeB
              Excessive if you want to keep good tenants.
              Reasonable if you want to risk losing them, looking for new tenants, and having a void....
              24-03-2019, 22:17 PM
            • housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
              karouyou
              Hi This is my first post. The council has sent me as the landlord a letter (not a notice) saying it's inspected my property under The 2004 Housing Act and using the safely rating system have identified hazards that require my urgent attention, asking me to reply with written intentions of dealing the...
              21-03-2019, 08:28 AM
            • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
              JK0
              You don't need an eviction company. There is plenty of help and advice here on Landlordzone with doing it yourself.
              24-03-2019, 20:39 PM
            • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
              karouyou
              Thank you for your comments. I talked to the council and they said that because it wasn't a formal notice my section 21 is still valid. The eviction company have said they may still try and use it as a defence. I will do the repairs asap. The property has bats in the eves so I can't fill all the...
              24-03-2019, 20:16 PM
            • Reply to Increasing rent
              Twohoots
              Two years since I've been on here … can't believe that! As per my original post our tenants have now been living there for almost 8 years. In that time I have only put their rent up once by 5%. Lately there have been two very similar properties to rent near the one we own and we are renting our...
              24-03-2019, 19:54 PM
            • Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
              JohnMcClane
              I am a lodger, I asked for my deposit to be protected and the landlord agreed,

However, I have noticed the following discrepancies between my contract, the papers given to me by the landlord and the certificate given to me from DPS:

- The contract states that I take tenancy...
              24-03-2019, 00:25 AM
            • Reply to Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
              MdeB
              It may be that you are a tenant and not a lodger (but I do not have sufficient knowledge of this area).

I would suggest that you don't need to worry about it unless and until you have deposit or other problems at the end of your occupation.
              24-03-2019, 19:27 PM
            • Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
              Grim
              Hi Everyone,

I'd welcome your advice, I'm in the process of renting out a property and have been disappointed in the lack of interest from potential tenants, However, I've been approached by an EU National new to the UK ( 6 weeks ) and keen to rent the house. He is awaiting the arrival...
              21-03-2019, 08:24 AM
            • Reply to Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
              MdeB
              That is how I see it, provided agreement is worded correctly:
              • Month 1: rent paid for months 1, 2 & 3;
              • Month 2: rent paid for month 4
              • Month 3: rent paid for month 5
              • Month 4: rent paid for month 6; tenant gives required 2 months' notice
              • Month 5: no rent paid
              • Month 6: no rent paid.
              However,...
              24-03-2019, 19:13 PM
            Working...
            X