Rental deposit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental deposit

Looking for advice , I signed a 12 month rental with my boyfriend , we each paid 900 pounds deposit to the deposit company . He moved out 6 months later to live with another woman, but continued to pay half the rent until the lease finished. I have messages from him saying he did not want his deposit back, I therefore changed the tenancy into my name and paid the rent myself. This was 12 months ago, and I’ve been content. I then received an email today saying he wanted his deposit back(18 months after I last saw him) . Before I contact him, could a kind legally qualified person give me their thoughts. I certainly feel he forfeited his rights via text and his actions. Appreciate any replies, Louise x

This was a joint T, when any remaining deposit should have been paid to 'lead T' for onward distribution.
    I might suggest ex b/f may like to sue me for his share of remaining deposit, if I did not want to reimburse him 900. quid.

Comment

Why not tell him he can have it back when you move out?
      I don't know what would happen if he sued you for it - it would depend on the content of the messages and exactly what he said in them.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can rely on promissory estoppel. This means he said he did not want the return of the deposit and you have relied on what he said. This would in all likelihood be a defence if he takes legal action.

Comment

Legally you may have the right to rely on his text. Morally him leaving you does not entitle you to keep his money, especially when he continued to pay his share of the rent and did not create a problem for you then.

Can you not come to an agreement to pay at least some of it back? Do not admit you owe it though.

Comment

Morals don't come into the law. Keep the deposit as originally agreed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X