• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bach
    started a topic Case thrown out of court

Case thrown out of court

Hi

I am evicting a tenant via section 21.

All my paperwork is fine apart from the local landlord licence.

It had had expired before I issued the section 21 so I applied for a new licence and there was an option to submit but pay later, which is what I selected.

The judge threw the case out because I did not show evidence of a pending licence application

Will my above step of submitting the licensing app be sufficient enough evidence to prove I had submitted an application?

Here is what the judge wrote:

"The claimant has 28 days to apply to to have the claim reinstated pursuant to CPR 55.16 (4)(B)

The property is situated in an area designated for licensing. There is no evidence of a licence or pending licence application at the date of service of the section 21 notice"

Thanks

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bach View Post

Before issuing the section 21
    As long as it was on the day before or earlier, then it ought to be OK.

Leave a comment:

• Bach
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post

When did you apply - before or after issuing S21 notice?
    Before issuing the section 21

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bach View Post
    It had had expired before I issued the section 21 so I applied for a new licence
    When did you apply - before or after issuing S21 notice?

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    If you can evidence that you made a valid application, yes that's enough. (Assuming your application was before the section 21 was given, and it was still pending at the time it was given.)

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
    Wiffle
    Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
    17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
  • Reply to Pets causing eviction
    KTC
    They can't actually force you to give up your dogs. They can (attempt to) evict you.
    17-06-2019, 22:32 PM
    Wiffle
    You join us and the letting agent in the same thought, does anyone know if there's a set limit of time they can request or is it something they can just make up as they go?

I can echo that, my kids are all grown up now but my mediocre DIY skills have been called upon many more times for...
    17-06-2019, 22:08 PM
  • Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    RichH
    Hi,
    Fence at rear of property severely damaged by the strong winds a couple of nights back.
    Informed landlord by phone & also sent photos of damage by email. I have made emergency repairs to stop them going completely, but they are beyond repair.
    Landlord says they were put...
    10-03-2016, 19:01 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    tenant83
    2 million+ rented homes in the UK, 14,782 surveyed by an insurance company is just pee in the ocean. You also referenced figures which were obviously in the landlords' favour, we can all do that which is why polls are useless. I can easily say almost half of tenants are unhappy with their landlords...
    17-06-2019, 21:32 PM
    Wainwright
    At any rate it's a tad unreasonable to give someone 2 weeks to rehome their dogs.

I don't know, but I'd be happier to let to people with pets (within reason, of course) than to those with children!! In my experience and those of other landlords I know, the latter have been far more problematic...
    17-06-2019, 21:18 PM
    Wainwright
    Ah! This is exactly what I was thinking as well....
    17-06-2019, 21:12 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    boletus
    [QUOTE=tenant83;n1070209]

I didn't state any particular survey but 14,782 is quite some heavy weighting.

Why do you think that is?

Which is one of the lowest percentages of empty homes in Europe
    -or any other comparable...
    17-06-2019, 21:10 PM
  • Locking Building Doors At Night
    ivand
    Hi everyone, I live in a block of flats (some rented, some owned) with no entry system. The factor want to install a simple lock on the only entry to the building and lock it at night at a set time and give residents a key to get in. I think this is dangerous because it restricts entry by emergency...
    14-06-2019, 17:42 PM
  • Reply to Locking Building Doors At Night
    MdeB
    We have had this discussion for our block of flats.

The argument for no locks includes "the police advise that having a lock can make gaining entry a challenge to groups under the influence on a Saturday night, but hey are likely to pass on by if it is unlocked".

17-06-2019, 21:06 PM
Working...
X