Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant financed carpets

Hi,

I had a tenant that fitted new carpets without my permission and then left the property. I got a visit from the bailiff as they had bought the carpets on finance. They have done other work without my permission and I believe they have also done this on finance.

I am now back in the property and going through the deposit dispute process. I have been told I will get all the money back from the deposit to put things right but what happens to the carpets that are on finance? Can they be removed?

Thanks,

I find it odd that a carpet seller would allow finance on carpets to be fitted in a property that is not owned by the buyer.

Yes I suppose they could be removed but the value would be very low on resale.

What alterations/work was done that attracted finance?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Once carpets are fitted to your property they become part of the property (they're either a fixture or a fitting).
      I don't think that if the tenant doesn't own the carpets at that point anything changes because that's a well-established principle (but it might, I guess).

Unless the carpets are worse than what was there before (or the resolution is that they're taken away) I don't see what claim you can make against the deposit.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

they would just throw them out cant reuse them. Guess it a pay weekly company, surely the debt goes with tenant, although might be like a log book loan and its against the product. I would see what else they have financed

Comment

The deposit dispute is about other items like unpainted walls where they stripped of wall paper and a long list of things.

The carpets are better than they were before but the bailiffs have been round as they haven't paid. I just wanted to know if that means they can remove them and I have to buy new carpet.

Comment

Hi,

How would they know they didn't own it? Not like that is a question when you take out finance.

They replaced the carpet in the whole house......

Comment

Carpets from memory and not fixture and fitting, laminate flooring however is

Comment

Originally posted by Gandolf View Post
                Carpets from memory and not fixture and fitting, laminate flooring however is
                You know what, you're right.
                They're a furnishing.

Getting old!

They belong to the tenant (well the carpet seller) and I was wrong, they can repossess them.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think it would be sensible to see a copy of the finance agreement because there are specific rules about ownership depending upon how many payments have been made. They will probably refuse in which case tell them to bugger off. They also have no right to enter your property so don't let them in. Following that, if you are satisfied the carpets remain the property of the finance co, it might be an option to make an offer to purchase them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X