Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant financed carpets

Hi,

I had a tenant that fitted new carpets without my permission and then left the property. I got a visit from the bailiff as they had bought the carpets on finance. They have done other work without my permission and I believe they have also done this on finance.

I am now back in the property and going through the deposit dispute process. I have been told I will get all the money back from the deposit to put things right but what happens to the carpets that are on finance? Can they be removed?

Thanks,

I find it odd that a carpet seller would allow finance on carpets to be fitted in a property that is not owned by the buyer.

Yes I suppose they could be removed but the value would be very low on resale.

What alterations/work was done that attracted finance?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Once carpets are fitted to your property they become part of the property (they're either a fixture or a fitting).
      I don't think that if the tenant doesn't own the carpets at that point anything changes because that's a well-established principle (but it might, I guess).

Unless the carpets are worse than what was there before (or the resolution is that they're taken away) I don't see what claim you can make against the deposit.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

they would just throw them out cant reuse them. Guess it a pay weekly company, surely the debt goes with tenant, although might be like a log book loan and its against the product. I would see what else they have financed

Comment

The deposit dispute is about other items like unpainted walls where they stripped of wall paper and a long list of things.

The carpets are better than they were before but the bailiffs have been round as they haven't paid. I just wanted to know if that means they can remove them and I have to buy new carpet.

Comment

Hi,

How would they know they didn't own it? Not like that is a question when you take out finance.

They replaced the carpet in the whole house......

Comment

Carpets from memory and not fixture and fitting, laminate flooring however is

Comment

Originally posted by Gandolf View Post
                Carpets from memory and not fixture and fitting, laminate flooring however is
                You know what, you're right.
                They're a furnishing.

Getting old!

They belong to the tenant (well the carpet seller) and I was wrong, they can repossess them.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think it would be sensible to see a copy of the finance agreement because there are specific rules about ownership depending upon how many payments have been made. They will probably refuse in which case tell them to bugger off. They also have no right to enter your property so don't let them in. Following that, if you are satisfied the carpets remain the property of the finance co, it might be an option to make an offer to purchase them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    I feel it's unfair to penalize single parent just because of receiving UC which is mainly used to pay childcare costs. She's no risk because she's on her own without that second income. I guess it's true there are fewer properties to rent and landlords can afford to be fussy. It's disheartening for...
                    19-05-2022, 05:31 AM
                  • Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                  • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by Hudson01
                    The quote you gave from the contract does not give a maximum %%, it just say '' in line '', that could mean it goes up a little or a lot..... it seems a bit vague. In the end if this property has become too expensive for you then in time you may have to move to somewhere cheaper (if they exist !!)....
                    19-05-2022, 04:58 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Hudson01
                    Do not let this get out of hand, increase the rent by the amount you say every year, and i would go for even more, have an honest conversation with the tenant, if she cannot afford it then it maybe time for her to move on, if you let it get too far behind then you will never catch up with this tenant.........
                    19-05-2022, 04:53 AM
                  • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by DoricPixie
                    You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
                    19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
                  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by flyingfreehold
                    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                    by flyingfreehold
                    but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
                    19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
                    by DoricPixie
                    You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
                    19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
                    19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
                  • Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
                    In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
                    17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
                  Working...
                  X