Terminating AST - Unclear about wording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminating AST - Unclear about wording

We signed an AST with a landlord (via an estate agent) in 2016 for an initial period of 12 months, and have since extended this period twice since then (both times for another 12 months). The current period running from May 18, 2018 - May 18, 2019. We are keen to terminate the Agreement prior to May 18, 2019, but are unsure if we have any way of doing this.

In the original Agreement it states:

“Termination
    It is hereby agreed between the Landlord and the Tenant that this Agreement may be determined at the end of the said term or at the end of any subsequent month by either party giving not less than two month’s notice in writing to the other party. For the avoidance of doubt, the tenant may give such notice to the landlord’s agent."

The estate agent is claiming that the “said term” refers to May 18, 2019 and “any subsequent month” would refer to June, July 2019 etc.

Does that basically mean that we have no way of terminating the Agreement any earlier than when it actually expires on May 18, 2019?

Many thanks!

Katy

Originally posted by Hejsan View Post
    Does that basically mean that we have no way of terminating the Agreement any earlier than when it actually expires on May 18, 2019?
    Not without the agreement of the landlord, which they don't have to give.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Agent is correct, negotiate

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X